It happened.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
I ventured downstairs last night having been in bed for 4 days.

Cast a quick look at the bees in the observation hive.......

well, I looked at half the bee that should have been there.

Not much point looking and as nobody had been to tell me that they had a swarm in their garden I went to bed.

Wife woke me this morning at 6.30......."I know where the bees are"
They were hanging in the cherry tree.

Out of reach......
Chopped a few branches off...Great fun.Got covered in cherry blossom, but gave me a better view.

Put some old frames and a few drops of honey in a nuc box and climbed the tree and propped the box as near to the bees as I could get it.
Very very slowly the swarm got smaller and I could see some going in and out of the box. Went out half way thro this afternoon and the rest of the bees were all flying about, but slowly drfting towards the tree with the box.
A lot of them are still on the front of the box at the moment though.

Well done dishmop, why were you in bed for four days? Ill or just lazy :)

Took a look while there was just enough light to see by an it looks as if there are more bees on the front and under it than there was earlier.
If they've not moved in before about 10 o'clock it'll be time for the vacumm cleaner.

Can you see the QC through the glass or is it tucked away between the frames?

Looks like it getting to the point of getting suited up and having an arguement with these bees.

Looks like it getting to the point of getting suited up and having an arguement with these bees.

Excuse me. Is this the five minute argument or the full half hour? (monty Python)

I have given them two five minute arguements today... buy one and get one free,
and a shower...

Tomorrow they get the vacuum cleaner.

Nuc box in tree has been moved a bit by the wind, so is at an angle of about nowhere near level. James Bond up on two wheels style.

Established that the entrance is not blocked. I can see bees going in/out.
Majority of the bees seem to prefer El Fresco though.. I can even see a bit of comb they have built under the box.
I wonder if the queen didnt go into the box when they decided to move from where they had settled to the box..about 2 foot.

Nuc box in tree has been moved a bit by the wind, so is at an angle of about nowhere near level. James Bond up on two wheels style.

Established that the entrance is not blocked. I can see bees going in/out.
Majority of the bees seem to prefer El Fresco though.. I can even see a bit of comb they have built under the box.
I wonder if the queen didnt go into the box when they decided to move from where they had settled to the box..about 2 foot.

Keep going Dishmop , I can only guess from my hovell in France , But did the queen stop off on the outside before she moved in , her scent being left on the outside of the box . The only suggestion i can give you is using a fine mesh fishing net to try and scoop up everything on the outside, cover the net and inspect if you can see the queen , after looking for the queen , plop them in the nuc ( if you can reach ) and a dab of xmas after shave on the trouble some spot , but not much , just enough to get them not to go back .
Should have paid for the 30 mins argument !!!!!

I gave them a good talking to, and a shower.

poked them with a pointed stick, got the evacuum cleaner out.

and the little sods vanished............

Had a drive around looking or them, but no show anywhere.
I asked postman to keep a lookout and the local PCSO's.

Shame, as she was a good queen.

Sympathy and tears gratefully welcome and donations to the impoverished Bentley Owner (Norwich Branch)

I gave them a good talking to, and a shower.

poked them with a pointed stick, got the evacuum cleaner out.

and the little sods vanished............

Should have tried " words of sweet nothing " remember they are girls .

Latest posts

Back