Swarms 2014

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
ok, had my first call out to a swarm today, but had to pass it on to another beekeeper

So it is arounf the time i expected 15th/16th April from looking at my own hives

so what swarms have others collected in 2014

i know the swarm location and it is one of two beekepers I know

First swarm collected 2 days ago here in sunny Sussex - not mine by the way!

I have had 2 swarm calls as swarm officer for my association. Another member had a swarm arrive in his garden on Sunday. Today swmbo took a call on our swarm hotline from the dreaded bumble bees in my rabbit hutch brigade.

My very first call of the year was today. That's the earliest I have ever had by 11 days. They were reported as being 4 metres up in a lilac. En route I was wondering how to tackle them with my 2 metre ladders. When I arrived they had just left the lilac and were heading off to a new location. Two doors down, I saw them actually going in under the eaves into the roof space. Oh dear, I won't be touching those. Glad they were not mine, someone else's problem.

I collected a swarm on Saturday (12th April).
A nice size swarm that is safely Hived and growing :)

I also was able to prevent a swarm from one of my Hives today.
Whilst inspecting the Hive I found Queen cells.
Fortunately the Queen was still there so I was able to do an artificial swarm.

The rate at which we're booming in London, I am panicked until I get back into the hive on Friday. Fingers crossed...

dont worry there will only be a few QC if any at all, your bees are mainly AMM I told my friend,

He has just told me tonight that he has just found 40 queen cells on black bees than really never swarm in normal years

blimey!! glad were a few weeks behind out here in western Wales!!

Meanwhile here in East mid Wales...bees are bursting out of Commercials with only one super and first charged cups appearing. Four apiaries on 3 or 4 supers and will be taking Demaree and queen breeding kit out from tomorrow. This. Won't. Last.

Heard tell of two swarms from Canterbury members.

Put a third super on one of my hives.
April 16th. Crazy.
Did an A/S on one last week after I was too slow adding the second super.
Supers are more full of bees than honey. I've no OSR within flying range.

I have a strong feeling that this might be a bumper year - for swarms at least…

Completly cought out

I went down to do my first inspection 2 days ago, knowing I was late and one hive swarmed on arrival.
All four hives are national on a brood and a half and were completely full of bees suffering from congestion. No extra feeding in the winter.
A second hive seems to be superseding with a single large sealed queen cell and the queen still present - I have left this to its own devices
A third hive was building queen cells, so I AF it.
Location - Herefordshire

"Two doors down, I saw them actually going in under the eaves into the roof space. Oh dear, I won't be touching those. Glad they were not mine, someone else's problem."

did you inform the householder? if accessible from roof space much better to remove before they've established a new home. ok you may not be willing but how would you like it if someone saw a swarm enter your property and not tell you?

Two more reports today.
One from a local beginner's hive and one from one of the hives set up at the other side of the OSR field from another beginner - who now has increased her colonies by 50%.
I think I might ask her if I can park a bait hive at her place - the other chap has two hives that haven't swarmed yet! :)

2 swarms collected in 2 days for the Sidcup BK's. It's going to be busy for a while they think.

picture.php

Swarm collected 12/4/14
This was a prime swarm collected from a private garden.

picture.php

Swarm collected today 17/04/14
This is a prime swarm collected from the roadside off a Holly Bush

Latest posts

Back