What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Helped Chair of BKA, whos bees are having a holiday in one of my apiaries, do an AS as he found multiple queen cells in one of his hives.

Made up some more frames today after having inspected yesterday. Busy busy bees today.

Removed feeders from hives, in Ap.No.2, dumped 1:1 syrup down the drain. washed out feeders. Hive 1 is certinaly smaller, than Hive 2, but both were very active today, when the sun was out before the rain. Used very little smoke, it was not really worth lighting smoker, but done anyway, put on clear glass crown boards. Roofs with 50mm kingspan.

Conducted 2nd phase inspection of demaree on 9 colonies ie removing or using any QC's found after 3days post demaree.
3 Nucs made, all hives very busy in the sun despite the strengthening wind.

Last edited:
Checked colony that I demaree‘d last week. Still seem determined to swarm as I found 4 charged queen cells in the new box. The other colony is undergoing a Bailey comb change and progressing nicely. Added a super to my home colony who were an over-wintered nuc that have filled a 14*12 poly. Also put out a bait hive

When you performed the demaree did you transfer any frames of brood to the new brood box?
I ask as I found that last year if I transferred any frame (say with the queen on) into the new box then there was a high chance they would carry on in swarming mode!
I now transfer the queen ONLY onto the empty drawn frames in the new brood box as this simulates them swarming (no brood present) and seems to have more success!

When you performed the demaree did you transfer any frames of brood to the new brood box?
I ask as I found that last year if I transferred any frame (say with the queen on) into the new box then there was a high chance they would carry on in swarming mode!
I now transfer the queen ONLY onto the empty drawn frames in the new brood box as this simulates them swarming (no brood present) and seems to have more success!

Helpful thanks

Yesterday my mentor and I started the transfer of my new colony (new 2014 queen, mated and started laying last week) from a deep langstroth to a 14x12 national BB. Its amazing what you can do with a few bits of old wood, a staple gun and some gaffer tape. Its not pretty, but it should hold for the foreseeable future.

Today I plan to finish my amalgamation of my Q & Q- hives once it gets a bit warmer. They are currently joined with newspaper.

Swapped the last of my solid floors for mesh and swapped some old brood frames full of granulated stores for fresh foundation (2/hive). Next job is to swap out a couple of old brood, draughty brood boxes for decent ones.

Performed a demaree type procedure, just as well as the solitary QC previously seen was in fact one of six. Luckily queen spotted quickly showing off her lovely red blob, and all went well. Even used my latest piece of handicraft (see http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21943&page=14).

Started to scrub up for the weekend's harvest

found queen cells hidden on the bottom of frames. Larvae and food in them and very very angry bees. Been angry for a week or two. Eggs are there so not Q-

found play cups with eggs in in my other hive these were happy bees.

can't do anything about it til tomorrow or thursday weather depending problem is i can never find the queen in one hive .. ho hum

changes the bees WiFi access

The experimental hive as it ages is less adapted to long cable runs so i've made the comms wireless down to the apiary. The black box isthe industrial low power pc. The white box on the other side of the screen is the outdoor Wifi aerial/adapter.

picture.php

the pc and aerial will be mounted on a pole eventally.

Last edited:
Down in the apiary when the French Airforce tried to shake the hives apart , with ‘ on the deck ‘ flying by a Dassault_Rafale . Ground shaking . Made a hasty retreat with ears ringing . When they are that low you never hear them arrive but you seem to hear them for the next 5 mins .

Insulated my sole occupied warre due to the bad construction (bodged by me) using pallet wood has resulted in several horizontal splits in the wood..going through to the hive.

Insulated my sole occupied warre due to the bad construction (bodged by me) using pallet wood has resulted in several horizontal splits in the wood..going through to the hive.

Block up the main entrance and the bees will feel really at home.

Chris

quick check on hives in Apiary No.2, was told that Hive No.2 was really busy today.

watched a swarm arrive today at my house in a box on roof with old comb. thaught they had arrived yesterday. was hundreds of bees around box and inside but by 8 pm all gone but today BINGO

Inspected today as weather really nice (weekend not looking so good). Had previously noted a couple of empty queen cups but today noted quite a few new ones, 3 of which containing an egg. First full season for me, knew it was going to happen sooner or later but still quite daunting now it's actually happening. Know not to panic too much yet but will have to keep a close eye on them. Typically couldn't find the queen (who always seems to appear when I'm not looking for her). Will take a look again in a few days and if larvae present try to find the queen again and use nuc method of swarm control. Going to go and re-read my books again - think I have around 7-8 days before potential sealed QCs/swarm situation? Trying not to panic :)

Latest posts

Back