Increasingly irritable bees this season...anyone else?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had the opposite this season for some reason, they were nasty things earlier on, as soon as I paid for a new queen (but before she'd arrived) most of my hives calmed down and are now a treat to inspect. Anyone would think all of the existing queens realised one of them was for the chop ;)

Mine were all pussycats for weeks but today I inspected all hives and they were crashing into my veil from start to finish. Took a few stings to the fingertips (fortunately all but one into the gloves but onto fingernail area). After closing up I was followed to the shed but going inside to the cool and dark they abandoned me at the door. I fully expected to find my suit would be decorated with stings but turned out to be only one to the torso and one to the sleeve. Bees eh!

Mine were all pussycats for weeks but today I inspected all hives and they were crashing into my veil from start to finish. Took a few stings to the fingertips (fortunately all but one into the gloves but onto fingernail area). After closing up I was followed to the shed but going inside to the cool and dark they abandoned me at the door. I fully expected to find my suit would be decorated with stings but turned out to be only one to the torso and one to the sleeve. Bees eh!

Sounds like famous meetings with AMM thirty years ago.

My today's inspection at 16C and sunny but 20mph wind was perfection. No smoke needed, no stings (gloveless as usual), no running on combs, no flying out of hive when opened up, no buzzing round veil or following.....

Even after 5 minutes, still as placid as when opened. I wish I could have said that in the last month...

:D Classic!

I know I'm a simpleton, but things like this just tickle me...and the one armed fisherman describing the size of the fish that got away.

Me too. First time I have laughed at Finman

been to check on supers today and two hives absolutely piled out, bombing and stinging. Horrible!

At present the nicest hive is the one recently requeened and headed by a Hivemaker queen - at this rate, I will need another 3 or 4.

Robbing is definitely the cause (watched big scrum at the entrance of the worst hive) and so I have reluctantly put on reducers.

Having had several swarms arrive this time (of which one was very nasty), I am convinced there is now a wild colony somewhere close (woodland within 100 metres of my hives).

I've heard loads of tales of normally lovely hives turning this year. The only occasion I have experienced this was the first week I looked after Dusty's hives, but the weather was terrible, it was the start of June, so I don't know if there was a gap in forage, and in hindsight, it seems that I interrupted them that day beginning to make QCs to swarm. They were everywhere! I could hardly see for bees, my hands were covered, and it was the first time my other half had ever visited a hive. Very unnerving. As I remained calm, he just thought that that's what I do every week and followed my lead. I'll just let him think that for a while ;)

Anyway, back to being lovely again now. The swines!

I've been asked to help quite a few beeks with agressive hives this year - even some of my own most laid back ones are a bit tetchy.
One thing i have noticed with all the properly nasty colonies I've inspected is that the brood nests have reduced in size since the spring in each case mine wne t from a ten frame BIAS shall I demmarre placid hive to a five brood frame monster - lucky it's in the middle of nowhere - I actually wear the same kit as I usually put on under my bullet proof gear to try and avoid them stinging through - next time, I don't think I'll bother - I'll just wear the flak jacket and be done!!

I've been asked to help quite a few beeks with agressive hives this year - even some of my own most laid back ones are a bit tetchy.
One thing i have noticed with all the properly nasty colonies I've inspected is that the brood nests have reduced in size since the spring in each case mine wne t from a ten frame BIAS shall I demmarre placid hive to a five brood frame monster - lucky it's in the middle of nowhere - I actually wear the same kit as I usually put on under my bullet proof gear to try and avoid them stinging through - next time, I don't think I'll bother - I'll just wear the flak jacket and be done!!

So would this reduction of brood happen because of poor forage opportunities due to the weather?

Perhaps it's coincidence but have you ever thought maybe grumpy bee syndrome sets in about the time beeks start their routine seven day inspection regime. The disruption to the brood on a weekly basis must be a negative from the bees point of view.

It's been a bad start for most with the looks of the postings on the forum.
Blooms seemed to take ages to develop and then seemed to disappear just as quickly. It's as though the honey season will be 'condensed' into a shorter span if things keep up the way they are. Is it possible that the bees 'sense' this and are 'stressed' due to the panic to gather the nectar in a shorter time?
(a bit SCI-FI I know).
I was stung by a bumble bee today whilst trying to free it through a window. Never been stung by one before even when I 'cup' them in my hands to release them out of the door. This one seemed really agitated compared to their normal 'head bashing into window' routine.
Perhaps they're worried about the budget! (My finger is still bl**dy sore after that sting! Just thought I'd share. lol) :(

Perhaps it's coincidence but have you ever thought maybe grumpy bee syndrome sets in about the time beeks start their routine seven day inspection regime.

No - this seems to be a phenomenon peculiar to this year - usually extremely placid bees are getting worked up - unlike in previous years

Opened 8 hives between today and yesterday, all 7 remarkably calm, number 8 ... Went bananas !

Waves of attackers, and a lone Kamikazee came looking for me 30 foot from hives , just missed my neck ( luckily stung collar ) after removing suit.

Always have been aggressive... But the kicker... Best honey producer last year !.. Story sound familiar ?

No - this seems to be a phenomenon peculiar to this year - usually extremely placid bees are getting worked up - unlike in previous years

Can't give a reason but one of the association breeding apiary hives varies randomly between pussycats and kamikaze demons. No variation in handling technique observable :(

Opened 8 hives between today and yesterday, all 7 remarkably calm, number 8 ... Went bananas !

Here too.... although bees in the "Naughty Corner " apiary are there because they have a touch of the Carnie Cross Agression!

Like the banana reference... did you smell it .... enough to make a keeper of bees flee in terror!

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back