My honey observations so far this year...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preyingmantos

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is anyone else finding this years honey crop largely unspectacular?

What there has been has been sporadic and unpredictable. I Went and did 30 odd inspections today and they are no further forward than they were 12 days ago, albeit more bees.

What was surprising was there was the most impressive display of blossom in spring I've ever seen. Shame that didn't translate into a good crop, just well, lots of bees.

The amount of swarming through may was just incredible... seemed like every other colony was trying to make a dash for it!

Hot weather on the way, maybe we will see a turn of fortune...

It varies from area to area but the 'general' tone across a number of threads on here has been that it's been a poor spring for honey and swarming has been, again, quite high on the agenda.

Tree blossom is notoriously fickle for what it produces in terms of honey - much dependent upon the weather and I've noticed much less OSR this year - presumably as farmers were reluctant to try it without assistance from neonics.

Mine produced a fair amount of honey early in the season and have eaten their way through a lot of it in June .. supers noticeably lighter this week. Just hope that the June gap is over and we can look forward to a rampant summer.

Of course, everyone is comparing with last year which was extraordinary in honey production terms .. I have one beekeeping friend who told me that last year was his best year in 25 years of beekeeping so not a good year to be using as a comparison.

Yes, same here.
All colonies have been split some twice.
Any honey made earlier has been eaten though I didn't need to feed (except a nuc'd queen).
Clover is out...the fields smell of it....lovely!
Bramble just starting so things should pick up.

been a poor season so far here for me. most colonies have given a nearly full super but way down from the last couple of years. more or less through swarming now barn one or two colonies, hot weather forcast this week and with clover, bramble and loads of other stuff starting to flower, here's hoping !

Same here in North Devon this season gloves are essential last count i have 13 collenies that have turned evil 3 of which are almost unworkable even now with a flow on .

I have practically no honey, maybe if I put all the full frames together from six hives I might get a super full......luckily the lime hasn't opened here yet. If that fails I am doomed!
E

Seems to me like the clover is finishing and the lime trees and bramble are past their best. Could this be it for this year?

Variable here. Same out apiary.. one hive with 60lb to be removed, others with half a super.
Home apiary similar.
And queens either slow or jumping ship this year. Not swarms, just superceding. Am leaving bees to sort themselves out.

I had 30lb of rape honey in May & 100lb of tree honey mainly sycamore & hawthorn, lovely taste with a strong hawthorn scent. The blackberry & balsam hasnt got going yet so im looking forward to that. Not bad considering my bees have also had to draw out about 11 supers of foundation :)

Seems to me like the clover is finishing and the lime trees and bramble are past their best. Could this be it for this year?

There is an old saying when the britsh bee has left the clover the English summer is over so unless you go to the heather or get perfect weather of the Ivy then yes probly so

bad weather

Here in Islay i can not see any honey harvest this year. If we get a wee bit of good weather i may see a few jars, but very little. It looks like it may have to be given up as a bad job, and hope for better weather next year. Ianf

My honey crop so far + a bucket with 20lb in for creaming :)
image.jpg

I have practically no honey, maybe if I put all the full frames together from six hives I might get a super full......luckily the lime hasn't opened here yet. If that fails I am doomed!
E
The lime is in full bloom here Enrico but it does not seem to be producing much of a flow this year

Don't forget the Himalayan Balsam.....I got good honey from it last year...hoping for a little again.

Here's hoping, noticed though on a positive note in a good few of my hives ( & nucs included ) large amount of capped brood due to emerge soon.

So IF... And it is an if ... Weather improves quickly, still lime left to open , some already in flower and Bramble about to start along with suburban forage and H B...

Might come good yet ( if I can also get my act together and figure out a uniting plan , see other post )

Stil though , if it was predictable it would be boring,,, who wants day father day of sun and plus 20 temps..... ( me !! ) :D

Is anyone else finding this years honey crop largely unspectacular?

What there has been has been sporadic and unpredictable. I Went and did 30 odd inspections today and they are no further forward than they were 12 days ago, albeit more bees.

What was surprising was there was the most impressive display of blossom in spring I've ever seen. Shame that didn't translate into a good crop, just well, lots of bees.

The amount of swarming through may was just incredible... seemed like every other colony was trying to make a dash for it!

Hot weather on the way, maybe we will see a turn of fortune...

I would find this a lot more interesting if I knew where you were.

Most of you will be behind me as for me the blackberry and now the last of the limes are finishing and the past two weeks have been very good. There is always an upside to a down and hope things improve for you all. The problem I have is if we don't get any good rain soon all the honey that has come into the hives will start to disappear with these very big hives needing to feed themselves and I could start to see the honey disappear what I want is a steady nectar supply to sustain the bees and perhaos small increase.

Most of you will be behind me as for me the blackberry and now the last of the limes are finishing and the past two weeks have been very good. There is always an upside to a down and hope things improve for you all. The problem I have is if we don't get any good rain soon all the honey that has come into the hives will start to disappear with these very big hives needing to feed themselves and I could start to see the honey disappear what I want is a steady nectar supply to sustain the bees and perhaos small increase.

I am in a very similar situation and my number of flights is way down.

Latest posts

Back