Building a honey house from scratch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grif

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I am considering building a purpose built brick honey house in the garden (for extraction, processing, bottling etc). Wondering what I am up against in terms of rules and regulations to bring it up to an acceptable standard. And also wondering on size of the building to meet all practicalities.

I am considering building a purpose built brick honey house in the garden (for extraction, processing, bottling etc). Wondering what I am up against in terms of rules and regulations to bring it up to an acceptable standard. And also wondering on size of the building to meet all practicalities.

I have no idea what scale you are operating on.

But things like Planning Permission and Business Rates would figure highly for most people.
Being purpose-built, and having been used exclusively for honey, it would mess up Capital Gains Tax when you come to sell the house.
And of course you'd obviously be 'trading' for Income Tax purposes.

As regards the building's facilities, you'd be after "washable surfaces" ideally everywhere, two sinks (separate for hands and equipment), water supply, drainage, electricity, lighting, insect-proof ventilation ...

Sticking a conservatory outside your kitchen and giving it honey-priority for a small part of the year seems a much better idea for the very serious hobbyist.

Currently I am only very small scale, with less than ten colonies, but have been selling honey to friends and locals. As production hopefully increases in future years I am hoping to sell via a small local shop (so third party sales). I know that profit is probably non existent at these low production levels, that's not what I'm after, but I do want to be covered on the food regulations just in case. Probably not necessary if you give the stuff away? Or only sell to friends? But if you don't know who the final consumer is going to be, then there could be a chance that the authorities will swoop? Not totally sure, so after advice.

The "selling honey" PDF from the BBKA states "Registration of premises does not apply to the direct supply by the producer of small quantities of primary products to the final consumer or to local retail establishments directly supplying the final consumer". So, no need to inform local authority or register as a business? What have other beeks providing local shops done?

Latest posts

Back