Ventilated Bee suit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
Having spent the weekend 'sweating cobs' checking hives I have been looking at a ventilated suit. Has anyone got one or had any experience of them before I spend my hard earned cash?
Thanks
S

The triple layered mesh fabric ones are supposed to be better for sting resistance. This is from reviews on the internet. I think Swarm tried one on and found it to be heavy to wear. Other than that I have no experience of these suits.

Having spent the weekend 'sweating cobs' checking hives I have been looking at a ventilated suit. Has anyone got one or had any experience of them before I spend my hard earned cash?
Thanks
S

I've an Ultrabreeze which I imported from the States which I've been using for the last year. I wear t-shirt and shorts underneath it, and it's a lot cooler then the boiler suit ones, and when you get a bit of a breeze it's lovely. It is quite bulky, but doesn't seem very heavy. As far as being sting proof, well I've not been stung through it yet. My only issue is with cleaning, even though I wash it regularly (washing liquid and soda crystals) it always seems a bit grubby.

I wear one purchased from the USA Golden Bee Suits. Mine is sting proof, they have Africanised bees in Texas and Louisiana.
It can be bulky to put on but it is great to wear, as Sussexbaker says t shirt and shorts.
I have just ordered another from the states.
M**** L*** have one made of similar material under licence I believe it is made on the Indian sub continent.
Maisie also has one which I purchased.
The issue I have with these UK suppliers is the fencing style hoods which I dislike. On Tuesday I did 2 hrs in the apiary in 32 C. I did not feel uncomfortable at all but I was ringing wet when I got home

Mine is 2 years old now.
Purchased from Maise more
I enjoy wearing it and wouldnt go back to a standard suit.
I believe it is cooler (Looks cool too).
It is stingproof, and has waterproof knee patches, plenty of pockets
and an extra large hooded veil.
However even though the veil is larger it still manages to touch my face at times if I am not careful, which isnt good.

The only problem I have found with it is that the hood has a metal Zip so none of my spare hoods fit it.

I used to wear a long sleave shirt under my old suit for added protection.
But this suit is so sting proof I now wear just a Tea shirt.

The ventilated material also means less Bees get their tails caught in it.
as they are able to walk on it and fly away with ease.
So less bee deaths.

Thanks
S

BBwear do a lightweight version. They are definitely cooler. Been using for a couple of season now and very pleased.

Popping into Maisie's next week, so will have a look. Looked through 15 hives today and dripping wet.....not a nice sight !
S

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Popping into Maisie's next week, so will have a look. Looked through 15 hives today and dripping wet.....not a nice sight !
S

Inspected 7 colonies this afternoon. When I finished I was wringing wet and my gloves were full of sweat. Drank 2 litres of water and had a shower then put my feet up :)
Not sure how many hot inspections there will be this year?

Sometimes II think the best thing about beekeeping is the cool bath afterwards

Bee proof suits do one for 99 quid.
Been using it for a couple of months without being stung.

Feels bulky and heavy before I put it on but once on, I don't notice it. On blustery days earlier in the season, if anything I was a bit chilly with it on over a thin top.

My only gripe is the zip don't feel particularly good quality, so I have struggled to get into it, but that might also be because I am still recovering from a badly dislocated shoulder so I am limited in the contortions I can manage.

Just released a few queens and thought ' why on earth do they put elasticated waists band on suits'? I am rather round but even if I was skinny I wouldn't want a suit tight around my middle!
S

I recently got the M*** L*** one. It's made of a trilaminate mesh. A nice breeze blows through it (if there are any breezes) and definitely keeps me cooler than the standard Sh****** one. But, it is quite heavy and bulky, although once on, that doesn't seem to be noticeable.

It is a bit too white for my liking tho. I prefer a muted khaki or suchlike.

We're using lightweight suits from bbwear. I think they make Maise's suits so check prices. As the label say's lightweight, comfortable and wash and dry PDQ. No stings at all (yet) through the suit. Plus BBKA discount. No connection, just a happy customer. I perspire, sweat, glow a lot, pick your term depending on your gender and I still do in the bb suit but it can be washed and dried quickly. In the current temps 30mins on the line and it's dry.

My colleague bought a M--- L--- ventilated suit on my recommendation.
He wore it for the first time yesterday. We inspected his hives, re-arranged supers etc.
When we had finished he stood there with a huge grin on his face, said how he had enjoyed the session, and felt relaxed dealing with the bees. He had not been stung and his 'fear levels' had dropped.

Picked one up from Maisie's and used today, although a scorcher of a day felt much cooler. I would recommend to anyone
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did manage to damage the hood on my ventilated suit last year.
I made a temporary repair then discovered none of my spare hoods were any good as they all had plastic zips.

Last month I discovered a guy on eba* who was advertising replacement hoods for £10 that looked similar so I purchased one, sent him my request including 'a metal zip please'.

Last week it arived from India. Its perfect, and its made of the same material as the suit itself so is 100% stingproof (apart from the face area).

I did manage to damage the hood on my ventilated suit last year.

I made a temporary repair then discovered none of my spare hoods were any good as they all had plastic zips.

Last month I discovered a guy on eba* who was advertising replacement hoods for £10 that looked similar so I purchased one, sent him my request including 'a metal zip please'.

Last week it arived from India. Its perfect, and its made of the same material as the suit itself so is 100% stingproof (apart from the face area).

Found out that the face area is the weak point with my suit. Looked at the basxxds hive earlier and got my chin stung! Apart from that, not a sting
Will try a bit of tape near front of hood next time
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not much space face to visor is one of the things I found, along with it feeling bulky because of the thickness. How do you find the hood? It seemed a bit big.

I just have a problem with heat regulation I think and it's starting to be a bit of a concern as I feel quite unwell after inspecting.

Not much space face to visor is one of the things I found, along with it feeling bulky because of the thickness. How do you find the hood? It seemed a bit big.

I just have a problem with heat regulation I think and it's starting to be a bit of a concern as I feel quite unwell after inspecting.

As I've said before. look into BB'wear lightweight suits.
Coolish (I still 'glow' in it but I can do a round of inspections without falling over through heat), to wear and wash/dry PDQ.

Again NO connection just a happy customer.

Latest posts

Back