Module 3

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alan - good point, we'd hear about it if it were a problem. High temperature would discolour beeswax though, and AFB spores will withstand at least 10 minutes at 100 C so the melting / casting process is very unlikely to destroy them.

However the infectivity is perhaps a major factor - AFB spores need to be fed to larvae of 1-2 days age, otherwise infection is extremely unlikely for the number that might be lurking in the wax of a cell. Any wax builders have generally progressed well beyond the brood feeding stage, hence unlikely for cross-contamination of brood food.

Pesticides? Yes, more likely IMHO, particularly beekeeper-administered ones.

Well, that wasn't too bad. What did everyone else think? :judge:

quite surprised to see the importation of bees question in again ,

which question did you do as the 30 point essay, i chose the bailey change one but as usual i ran out of time and had only just started my last question which was a 15 point question when they called time

I assumed (probably incorrectly) that all hives in England are PR.
It's not something that seems to be discussed with regards to varroa these past few years.
It's on the syllabus so quite in order for a question to be asked.

Surprised to see Beltsville test in.

Hmm...got a max of 4 on that one (as did the low-tech alternative). Had reckoned on the policy stuff not being in again so glossed over it. Had 1 first which I'd been putting off so hand now kaput as is head. OK on the viruses though...and the flippin' Latin.

Now got to catch up on essays and other stuff. Changes hat :)

The one that baffled me was "name a disease associated with Deformed Wing Virus"

I assumed (probably incorrectly) that all hives in England are PR.

It would still give an indication of effectiveness and resistance if such treatments had not been used for a number of years, also be useful with some other treatments maybe, such as apivar.

quite surprised to see the importation of bees question in again ,

which question did you do as the 30 point essay, i chose the bailey change one but as usual i ran out of time and had only just started my last question which was a 15 point question when they called time

Having done Mod 6 as well, I'm a bit brain dead and cannot remember! It involved a diagram of a bee that looked like it had been run over by a steam-roller, so I think nosema comes to mind as well.

Latest posts

Back