wax polish

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony350i

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My stair case in my property has seen better days so i riped the painted hand rails and spindles and mill post out and replaced with bare wood and refaced the stringer with 4mm facing ply.

i was going to make a simple wax polish off turpentine,white wax capping's and soap flakes,

can some one tell me why are soap flake used.

thanks

to make the emulsion.

Can I say this is a serious mistake you are about to make. I know as I made it myself years ago.

I stripped the staircase and the doors and did them with polish which in my case was a better one than you are suggesting as it had carnuba in it too.

It looked to my eyes at least brill.

then it got dirtier and dirtier. It frankly just does not work.

Polyurethane varnish exists for a very good reason.

PH

I've got a lot of waxed wood in my house, yes it may get dirty in heavily used places, but it's easy enough to wipe off the dirt with a soapy cloth, dry and then re wax. Anything that has harder use gets linseed oil first then wax.

I hate varnish. . . . . :)

Frisbee

ps soap is an emulsifier, it enables an oil/water mix to mix and not seperate, presumably then the turps and wax will seperate if you don't use soap.

Last edited:
well that has given me something to think about.:)

Latest posts

Back