bulk buying honey jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have bought lorry loads of 20 pallets at a time AND would do again if the price was right.
The bottling company’s don’t drop there prices enough to make it worth doing too much hassel involved,

We bought a 40 shipping container from China a few years ago for 5p a jar but the shipping -transport -storage - labour cost killed that.

Best buy was from Ledbury jam factory closing down sale 48 pallets of assorted jars and lids boxed.

how about we try to set up this for next season, lets say jars in june? and sugar ready for september that way we dont tie up to much money quickly, i like the ideas of four differant drivers all going home say north, east, south, west,and dropping of on the way or how about a meeting area point and then everyone in the area meets up

in that case, and I think it's a good idea for 2010, I think we need to see if Admin could do another heading, perhaps call it Honey Co-Op? it will need 2 threads (or more, depending on what we are purchasing) and interested parties will need to sign up on the thread, along with their exact postcode, and whether they would be a driver or act as a drop off point for other local beeks.

When we have the final figures, say in May, we place the order for, eg, jars at the best place (looks to be Bristol area at the moment) and then start the ball rolling from there.

Is this the start of a plan ?

We could do the same for foundation, frames, hive bodies etc for next year too. I am certain a big supplier near me gives a discount for bulk.

(I am writing this on the wireless PC, enjoying a cold cider sitting in the warm sun. I could be forgiven for thinking it's September....bl**dy marvellous !!)

Last edited:
Another company that may be worth getting a price for jars is Compak LTD, Birmingham / Bristol / Leeds.

If it helps I could arrange a bulk delivery next year to the Bicester area.

Hmmm they've got a fabulous selection of jars, but no bog standard 1lb honey with screw caps (unless I've missed it) just the embellished ones and they are half kg and 1 kg. We'll let you do the asking...........while we hide behind your apron :hat:

Frisbee

They must do them - but I couldn't see first look either- if they want to sell - then they will have to get stocking- and at the right price- What did anyone pay for a gross this year - I have lost my receipt

All good in theory but....................... bucket of water.

No one so far has mentioned security of funds.

Some one has to flash the cash to buy the bulk goods and is out substantially until the little guys cough up and is at financial risk.

I would suggest that nothing happens until enough folk put up their money first........ held in an account, until the total needed is reached for each purchase. Only then will that purchase be made. Or if that amount is not reached the funds are returned minus any bank charge.

It all has to be fair friends.

PH

All good in theory but....................... bucket of water.

No one so far has mentioned security of funds.

Some one has to flash the cash to buy the bulk goods and is out substantially until the little guys cough up and is at financial risk.

I would suggest that nothing happens until enough folk put up their money first........ held in an account, until the total needed is reached for each purchase. Only then will that purchase be made. Or if that amount is not reached the funds are returned minus any bank charge.

It all has to be fair friends.

PH

i understand this, i can only think of someone like admin ( sorry mark) who is a good trustworthy position and a paypal account?

I can buy and store some bulk purchase- but am on the south coast for collection. I don't mind initial payment.

Whats the initial purchase price going to be?
I can sub the payment to the wholesaler if someone(Heather)? could do the storage.

just some thoughts for you all to read.
I started this thread because a bulk purchase was a good way of saving money, having a jolly day out and finaly meeting a few of you.
I have since this has started done three whole saler trips two for wine bottles and one for honey jars. the honey jars where collected from bristol by me in my car and my friends trailer we went from bristol straight up the m5/6 to the lakedistrict which took 4 hours arrived at lunch time i then meet up with one of the four people involved and unloaded his part after he supplied lunch at his house we shot of to west yorkshire for tea and crumpets and dropped the second load off, what a lovely yorkshire tea it was to from there straight home to birmingham, the following week we went down to cambridge to she my grandson and stopped off on the way to deliver the last two lots with them on the way past

so yes it can be done ,
so now the cold water the suppliers we were dealing with needed to have the money transfered over three days before the collection as they did not do cash and i dont have a credit card, so we all were given the choice of either cash with the order a week before collection or cash on delivery, no cheques but hard cash. all sent the money before i went to collect which takes about a week for it to clear before i paided it out
delivery costs are next using a firm called hermes who are cheaper then the post office delivery to the lakes was £30 yorkshire was £45 birmingham was £35 and cambridge was £50, the pertrol in the car cost me £26 to lakes, yorkshire was £20 so the two of them paid me £23 each for me to run up to them the couple of deliveries to cambridge both gave me a £15 each which was ok for me just to past by.

the wine bottle went wrong as some one wanted to pay on delivery his part was only £25 plus a £10 for petrol and he did not turn up and changed his mind, i was more anoyed that he did not tell me on the day because he could of been missed off the delivery drive

I used to do similar with wax as I could get the discount from £300 to the £500 pound range, bear in mind late 80's here and it all worked well.

It needs trust and as I suggested there needs to be money up front.

Oh and there is still a saw here for someone.... hint...

PH

Latest posts

Back