Help to save a bee!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katecurrie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello, I am not a bee keeper but I love bees and keep trying to save sick ones. But unsuccessfully. I suspect a pesticide is being used locally as I find a bee every couple of days on the ground that won't fly, allows me to collect them and then does not drink the sugared water I provide and eventually die :sos:

Is there anything I should be doing?

Anyone know any more bee first aid I can try.

I have one now... keeps lifting legs in the air.... want to help

Thank you

They have a natural life span. If they are bumble bees they may have a nest close by and it may be the males dying off naturally. If sugar water won't work then there is little else you can do.
Nice of you to try though.
E

What time of day? Do you put them somewhere warm, sometimes they just need a little temperature boost.

Hello, I am not a bee keeper but I love bees and keep trying to save sick ones. But unsuccessfully. I suspect a pesticide is being used locally as I find a bee every couple of days on the ground that won't fly, allows me to collect them and then does not drink the sugared water I provide and eventually die :sos:

Is there anything I should be doing?

Anyone know any more bee first aid I can try.

I have one now... keeps lifting legs in the air.... want to help

Thank you

I do the same every year i blow on them and hold them in my hand to warm them but very few make it..and god know's what happen's to the ones that do fly of in circles.. we can only but try and good on you for your effort's..

Lots of dopey queen bumbles about lately. The best thing you can do, once you have tried sugar water, is to find them a flower, ideally in a sunny spot and leave them to it. If they make it, they make it. Lots of species of bumble are mating around this period, so they may just be shattered lol

It's good of you to care. Keep it up. They need all the friends they can get these days.

SURVIVED!!

Thank you everyone. My little bee drunk the sugared water in the end - then I left him on our boiler which just gets gently warm, with a flower and more sugared water in a cotton wool ball and by morning he was twitching happily so I left him in the sun in the garden and he was off like a shot! :) :)

THANK YOU!

xxxx:laughing-smiley-014

SURVIVED!!

Thank you everyone. My little bee drunk the sugared water in the end - then I left him on our boiler which just gets gently warm, with a flower and more sugared water in a cotton wool ball and by morning he was twitching happily so I left him in the sun in the garden and he was off like a shot! :) :)

THANK YOU!

xxxx:laughing-smiley-014

Brilliant news!! Well done :)

Back