Repeat Oxalic vaporising - but with honey on the hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itma

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Repeat Oxalic vaporising - but while there is honey on the hive.

Oxalic doesn't evaporate away like the Formic in MAQS.
So this strikes me as a REALLY BAD idea, with 3 crop supers in place.
But how can I convince an Oxalic vaporising enthusiast of that?

Or is it OK really and you've done it and got away with it?

This is about the vaporized stuff, not the dribbled solution.
Have to confess it's a point that has concerned me with supers on.

There is no limits to oxalic acid in honey, because it is harmless. And that is why food laboratories will not analyze it.

Last edited:
Apparently the European Authorities have decided that there is no need for an MRL (Minimum Residue Level) for oxalic acid in honey.
However.....honey may not contain more than 50 milliequivalents of free acid. Which suggests that excessive use may exceed these limits.
Winter dribbling (and presumably winter vaporization) has little effect on Oxalic acid levels in next years honey

What is the MRL of oxalic allowed in honey?

I don't believe there is one specified for Oxalic ... HOWEVER the Honey Regs (2015 no change) do specify an acidity limit "50 milli-equivalents acid/kg" (of honey).

// Beaten to it by Thymallus!

I don't believe there is one specified for Oxalic ... HOWEVER the Honey Regs (2015 no change) do specify an acidity limit "50 milli-equivalents acid/kg" (of honey).

// Beaten to it by Thymallus!
There is no such limit.
Look EU food regulations connected to varroa treatment about 10 years ago.

Look google: agroscope oxalic acid

Last edited:
Absolute utter rubbish!
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/idlh/144627.html

As little as 15g ingested can cause death by kidney failure.
Lower doses will cause joint pain from calcium oxalate formation.

You are wrong as adult human can be..

Can you calculate how much you need to eate honey that you get 15g oxalic acid and kidney failure?

Last edited:
Repeat Oxalic vaporising - but while there is honey on the hive.

Oxalic doesn't evaporate away like the Formic in MAQS.
So this strikes me as a REALLY BAD idea, with 3 crop supers in place.
But how can I convince an Oxalic vaporising enthusiast of that?

Why do you feel the need to convince me that it's a REALLY BAD ?

There is no limits to oxalic acid in honey, because it is harmless.

Err beg to differ, the Ld50 for humans is quoted at around 25 grams for a 65 kg person. It's around the equivalent of eating 10kgs of rhubarb leaves.

Err beg to differ, the Ld50 for humans is quoted at around 25 grams for a 65 kg person. It's around the equivalent of eating 10kgs of rhubarb leaves.

Person II: We speak about honey. Would you calculate how much you should eate honey to get those equivalents?

Warning: I have Studied biochemistry in University 6 years from English books.
There are civilization over English Channel which is only 20 miles broad to Europe.

Warning II: I have read all EU regulations concerning oxalic acid treatments.

Last edited:

Please, can you understand. When you eate one kilo carrots, you get 100 times more oxalic acid than eating honey.

Person II: We speak about honey. Would you calculate how much you should eate honey to get those equivalents?

Warning: I have Studied biochemistry in University 6 years from English books.
There are civilization over English Channel which is only 20 miles broad to Europe.

Warning II: I have read all EU regulations concerning oxalic acid treatments.

Finman you've already claimed today you studied geography for 5 yrs in university..
So after 11 years studying in english, how many degrees can one man have and still not be literate ?

Latest posts

Back