It pays to look up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
album.php

It seems that looking up at the trees above your hives can sometimes show surprises! this is a friends apiary, she spotted them today! At least four good combs in the apple tree!
E

Attachments

• DSC_0202.JPG
    DSC_0202.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC_0201.JPG
    DSC_0201.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_0200.JPG
    DSC_0200.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0203.JPG
    DSC_0203.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 153
I'm hoping to give it a go in a couple of days if the weather doesn't kill them first!

Good luck with getting them out! Great pictures, would love to hive a colony like that.

During this year's club spring tour with the SBI, even he was surprised when it was pointed out that there was a small cast swarm sitting in the tree no more than a couple of feet from his head, while he was inspecting a colony!

How common is this for bees to build comb and stay there on trees.

How many have you tied into frames and hived?
Saved from a certain death in our weather.
Years ago, there was a picture here from somebody of a colony that was into its second year. It was built under eaves by a window. Sadly I don't think it got through its second winter.

Hi enrico,
It certainly does. Got two for the price of one in the vicar's garden a couple of years ago. Also, in apple trees as it happens. Vicar saw the first swarm, but assumed it had gone. Got called to remove 2nd swarm a week later and just discovered first swarm as I was putting out the smoker. No comb to speak of as I remember. It would appear that from my limited experience swarms seem to have a preference for apple trees?

The wild hive was above five other hives..... From whence it came. So hopefully they found their way back to one of the other hives. Not a moment too soon to take them out of the tree. Three frames with brood but no stores at all.
E

Latest posts

Back