Anyone Using MAQS Strips This Autumn?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cussword

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Still just the 1
This is my first season with my own bees, I've read a lot of past threads. What is the current general consensus for an Autumn treatment?
For instance, if MAQS harms brood, isn't it about the time that the Winter bees are being laid?

It doesn't do any more damage to brood than Apigard, say.
What it can do is damage your queen.
I used MAQS two years ago at the end of August and I lost one queen.
I did use it again in June the following year and though queens were OK this time there was a significant mite problem in two colonies in September so I had to use thymol.
SO
I think it is excellent for fire fighting earlier in the year but I wouldn't use it at the close of the season.

I agree with Erichalfbee.

I've used MAQS for the last couple of years and had significant Queen problems nail-bitingly late in the season. (MAQS certainly knocks the varroa down, though!)

This year I'm going back to Apiguard when the supers come off, with the sole exception of a single hive, which I will treat with a 1/2 dose of MAQS, out of curiosity.

MAQS don't need to be an autumn treatment as you can apply with supers on. I've got some on at the moment (due to come off tomorrow) - I'll let you know if it kills any queens. Hopefully there's just enough time to get more raised if needed.

MAQS don't need to be an autumn treatment as you can apply with supers on. I've got some on at the moment (due to come off tomorrow) - I'll let you know if it kills any queens. Hopefully there's just enough time to get more raised if needed.

Oh no! My MAQS just arrived today as my newish hive has got a high Varroa count. I didn't realise you couldn't use this during winter. Do you think it would be a safe treatment to use for a few weeks to bring down the infestation level then take it out?

I tried a 5 pack on abun h of swarms this year. Highest temps were 23C and I lost 3 out of 5 queens. 1 was cast so its possible she was lost mating.
I've used homemade formic pads before now with great affect , but wanted to try these.
I've not lost a queen yet to my own mix so its back to that.for me. Plus the cost of treating more than 5 hives with maqs is prohibitive.
Never again
Apiguard also worked fine without any queen issues.

Oh no! My MAQS just arrived today as my newish hive has got a high Varroa count. I didn't realise you couldn't use this during winter. Do you think it would be a safe treatment to use for a few weeks to bring down the infestation level then take it out?

MAQS only take a week as the fumes can permeate capped cells to kill Varroa inside. If your bees are nearly filling the box I'd put them on now when there's still time to deal with any negative effects.

Must say that my bees haven't really reacted at all to the strips - no excess fanning or bearding, just business as usual. Will see what it looks like inside tomorrow.

MAQS only take a week as the fumes can permeate capped cells to kill Varroa inside. If your bees are nearly filling the box I'd put them on now when there's still time to deal with any negative effects.

Must say that my bees haven't really reacted at all to the strips - no excess fanning or bearding, just business as usual. Will see what it looks like inside tomorrow.

Thanks MJT68. I'll get the strips in later on this afternoon and keep an eye on them.

I've still got a full box I bought last year but haven't got the courage up to use them due to the q- problems reported by various beeks.... Ordering apiguard this year and the maqs will be getting binned.... One less thing to worry about

I will be using the sublimated Oxalix Acid. I tried MAQS last year....but it was a worry.

Just to put your minds at rest, I have used it over the past two years and I haven't lost any queens to my knowledge. It does kill a couple of 100 bees when you first out it on and I think you would have to be really unlucky for one of those to be the queen. They do go off lay though so some may think they have lost a queen!
E

Just to put your minds at rest, I have used it over the past two years and I haven't lost any queens to my knowledge. It does kill a couple of 100 bees when you first out it on and I think you would have to be really unlucky for one of those to be the queen. They do go off lay though so some may think they have lost a queen!
E
Please carry on using it everyone,
an excellent varroa treatment. :sifone:

Thanks Erica, what would you suggest?

Apilife Var has always worked for me but like Tremyfro I am trying sublimated oxalic this year.
Three times at 5 day intervals.
I have modified all my floors so that I can vaporise under the OMF from behind.

BTW
I'm sure MAQS is OK past its use-by-date if kept in the freezer and I do have some if I need firefighting.

Apilife Var has always worked for me but like Tremyfro I am trying sublimated oxalic this year.
Three times at 5 day intervals.
I have modified all my floors so that I can vaporise under the OMF from behind.

BTW
I'm sure MAQS is OK past its use-by-date if kept in the freezer and I do have some if I need firefighting.

Is there any reason this method of varroa control hasn't become more popular ?

No idea...sorry.
You do have to have power, of sorts. Most use batteries and the number of colonies you can do at a time must be limited this way but I have car access right to the hives so use the car battery with the engine on.
Hivemaker does it I think but he has lots of hives and an industrial vaporiser that delivers oxalic under pressure from the top which is supposed to be more effective.....ask him :)

Back