Fact or Fiction?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
There is lots written or spoken regarding beekeeping, but does anybody ever test those things out for themselves or does everybody accept? Take the statement 'Never open a hive in thundery weather', how many people have done this?

There is lots written or spoken regarding beekeeping, but does anybody ever test those things out for themselves or does everybody accept? Take the statement 'Never open a hive in thundery weather', how many people have done this?

Yes ... I've made that mistake ... my bees are usually pussy cats and don't normally move off the frames when I open them up. Opened first hive up when it was dry, humid but overcast .. came up like like a swarm and were all over me. Shut it down - tried next hive as I thought it was a bit unusual - same thing. Just as I was closing them down, clap of thunder and the heavens opened.

Next day ... completely back to normal.

'Never' is not a word to use. 'Avoid' is a far better term. Some do not understand the written word and some often exaggerate. Picking the right information to accept is all part of reading any forum reply, or old dogma - or of discounting claptrap.

I did - ten on Saturday, not nice, even the most laid back colonies were vicious but they had to be done.

Same here - I had to the other day, morning was dry but sky going black and with the forecast I figured it was my only chance for a few days. Didn't take long to get covered in angry bees, my normally laid back hive 1 actually pursued me into the house.

I was always told that the more stings you got the better you would be at sex......any takers?
E

Bad temper at thundery times isn't a given, sometimes they're fine, others a bit tetchy, best avoided unless necessary but doable with the usual precautions (smoker and a veil) if needed.

I was always told that the more stings you got the better you would be at sex......any takers?
E

I really don't think sex with you is what I want... mindbleach...:sunning:

There are a few more
All honey crystallises .... I now know it doesn't
Capped queen cell means the queen has gone..... Rubbish
Wait till a super is full before you add another.... Nope
Put a two p piece on a sting... Why
Don't eat a banana before opening a hive.... Maybe right,
But the sex one works for me.... Makes stings more bearable!
E

There are a few more
All honey crystallises .... I now know it doesn't
Capped queen cell means the queen has gone..... Rubbish
Wait till a super is full before you add another.... Nope
Put a two p piece on a sting... Why
Don't eat a banana before opening a hive.... Maybe right,
But the sex one works for me.... Makes stings more bearable!
E

Sex with sheep but with bees... Do you use upper entrance?

You dirty Finnish person :nono:

After a comment I once made (amongst family), I was called a "dirty old man" al la Steptoe. I replied that I was only a slightly soiled senior citizen

Last edited:
'Never' is not a word to use. 'Avoid' is a far better term. Some do not understand the written word and some often exaggerate. Picking the right information to accept is all part of reading any forum reply, or old dogma - or of discounting claptrap.

Check carefully even Academic papers. There's a few howlers out there.

Latest posts

Back