Cheers all - time to give up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
As many of you may remember, my FinL lives with us - aged 85 - and he has developed an allergy to stings...to the point we have been warned the next will be dangerous...so along with a allergic dog and increasing age - we are calling it quits and selling up all the bee stuff...

We'll keep an empty nuc and a couple of suits just in case, but 1 nuc and 4 colonies are going. I have enjoyed being a bee-keeper and maybe one day will come back but for now farewell and may full supers be yours :thanks::seeya:

Sad to see you go queens but we are always here for a chat! Wise to know when the time has come....it will come to us all one day..best of luck with the rest of your life
E x

I'm so sorry Sarah! I understand, but still, it must be hard for you. I hope you still have bees in your life :)

Sorry to hear your buzzing off. It will only be a while these dam bugs get under your skin.

Sad news. Realistic though.

But keeping the nuc box as a bait hive does make it sound like you'll be back!

Never met you but you must have many fond memories and experiences to share, and on lighter note as you retire from bee keeping my brother and myself have just started but up! Best wishes.

Although I too have never met you it is always sad to see someone go but it is obviously for the best in your case.

I'm sure you'll be back at some point ��

All the best x

We did find a site - but at the moment Cliff (husband) and I are struggling slightly and decided that we could not face the thought of driving there, inspecting - realising we need a bit home in the shed, going back picking it up...going back annoying the bees twice etc After talking to friends and fellow beeks we decided to call it quits.

Hopefully not permanent, but until we can do it safely for all...Now just to sell sooo much stuff that seemed vital ;) Thanks for the replies, and I may come to lurk when the lack of bees gets painful to give bad advice and tell awful bee jokes :~

Shame! Got to move mine due to 'problems' with neighbours. I can only guess what it's like to have to stop altogether. Good luck.:(

We did find a site - but at the moment Cliff (husband) and I are struggling slightly and decided that we could not face the thought of driving there, inspecting - realising we need a bit home in the shed, going back picking it up...going back annoying the bees twice etc After talking to friends and fellow beeks we decided to call it quits.

Hopefully not permanent, but until we can do it safely for all...Now just to sell sooo much stuff that seemed vital ;) Thanks for the replies, and I may come to lurk when the lack of bees gets painful to give bad advice and tell awful bee jokes :~

That's a damn shame.. the very best of good luck for the future.. i have only just started and it's doing my head in.. but it would do my head in even more if i had too move the hive on.. they sure are magical little creature's with an addictive pull toward's them..

Sorry it's come to that Queens but I have a feeling you'll get those fingers stung again. Stay here anyway.....you don't need bees :)

Well, hurry back and in the meantime, good luck.

As many of you may remember, my FinL lives with us - aged 85 - and he has developed an allergy to stings...to the point we have been warned the next will be dangerous...so along with a allergic dog and increasing age - we are calling it quits and selling up all the bee stuff...

...Hopefully not permanent, but until we can do it safely for all...

It's a tough, but understandable, decision to make.

Good luck.

Queens59, it's been a real pleasure reading your posts, and I'm sad you'll be taking a back seat for a while.

SWMBO and I gave up diving last year; we miss it terribly and every time I get near the sea, I wonder if I made a mistake in doing so. Selling the gear was awful.

I guess it will be easier to return to beekeeping if things change.

I do hope you will loiter with intent on the Forum.

Best wishes,

Dusty

Looking forward to a cream tea when I finally get down to Bovey Tracey ... best of everything you could wish for in the future Sarah.

And if its any consolation, Martha Kearney has also given up, for now.
She ended up in hospital after a sting (last year), and is now undergoing desensitisation therapy ... but her husband's face got a nasty swelling after some stings through his veil, so she might not restart... (eh?)
Interview today on Radio 4 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0638gpc (starting at 56 minutes in)
Newspaper piece from last month http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...y-beloved-bees-nearly-killed-me-10338712.html

Don't worry, your bee keeping trousers live on. A bee tried to sting me yesterday and then dragged her entrails around my leg. Rob pointed her out and said " There is something wrong with that bee " lol

Thanks for all the support and giggles you've given me. You were one of my first friends on this forum and I would not be where I am now without you. I'm happy we are friends :)

Thanks All, Kazmcc, Pargyle, Itma, Dusty and every other lovely comments. I thought I would go on forever, until I couldn't lift a super - until I understood that people around me are more precious...

I am keeping nuc boxes & suits in the hope of the odd swarm - and hopefully when we leave here in a few years time we may be able to start again...although HWMBO is 10 yrs older and claims that he will never restart...but we shall see!

Thanks all - and as requested I will loiter with intent and annoy all eventually as a " One hive owner & proud" (Sorry Pargyle) :D

Latest posts

Back