Heather starting to flower.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took 18 hives to mid Wales last Sunday, and ling didn't seem close to flowering; probably 1-2 weeks away? Got a good soaking in the early morning rain though. When it flowers, the ling is half a mile away up the hill, couldn't get closer. Just keeping fingers crossed for warmer weather in early August.

Earliest ling is about a week away in the part of Aberdeenshire we go to, but the Bell is also running late and although the roadside patches are full bloom to even going over, the real stuff for the bees, the big lots further up the hill or away from the heat island of the roads, are just going to peak in the coming week. The bees have brought in precisely zero so far, and this is a generally pretty reliable crop.

Many areas south of the Grampians look like a washout for 2015 as the flower spikes are rotting, and even more storms and heavy rain forecast for well into August.

Starvation is now a more pressing issue than the heather........my teams will put 5 tonnes of syrup on today when they should have been doing heather preparation and supplementary supering of hives on the bell. Double hit. No crop AND a major unexpected cost.

Was with bee inspectors yesterday as they examined an apiary of our that had been caught within the 3Km circle round an AFB outbreak (2 hives I understand of another beekeeper in Perthshire). Nothing was found and they got the all clear to go to the moors but gee, in several there was not a cell of honey left, and they had had no honey at all taken from them. Sitting in a nice little sheltered spot between a 90 acre OSR field and 50 acres of beans, had flowers available to them since early May. Most sitting with two Lang deeps full of bees and brood, so in perfect nick for the hill, and the others have young queens and are now at about 7 bars of brood so will peak nicely in late August, but they have NO food. Departure delayed and a gallon of invert syrup going on today.

Not a bee race thing. The group contains both native and non native stock, both badly hit by hunger.

Bloody jetstream !
No sign of it shifting North to include us in the European heatwave, just yet.
In fact were not going to see summer again for 12-14 days.
That said, the 2nd half of August is looking much better.
I take more than a passing interest in the weather( for sailing rather than bees) and I nailed June's prediction almost perfectly. July I couldn't figure?(now I know why) August wasn't looking like starting well and won't, but I'll put money on the weather being calmer /warmer and drier than average starting 10-13th August.
Not what you all will want to hear, but if you are thinking of feeding, do it now as its not going to improve much in the short term, and with temps this low, the nectar flow is on hold.
Forecast is for ground frost here tomorrow !!

Last edited:
Earliest ling is about a week away in the part of Aberdeenshire we go to, but the Bell is also running late and although the roadside patches are full bloom to even going over, the real stuff for the bees, the big lots further up the hill or away from the heat island of the roads, are just going to peak in the coming week. The bees have brought in precisely zero so far, and this is a generally pretty reliable crop.

Many areas south of the Grampians look like a washout for 2015 as the flower spikes are rotting, and even more storms and heavy rain forecast for well into August.

Starvation is now a more pressing issue than the heather........my teams will put 5 tonnes of syrup on today when they should have been doing heather preparation and supplementary supering of hives on the bell. Double hit. No crop AND a major unexpected cost.

Was with bee inspectors yesterday as they examined an apiary of our that had been caught within the 3Km circle round an AFB outbreak (2 hives I understand of another beekeeper in Perthshire). Nothing was found and they got the all clear to go to the moors but gee, in several there was not a cell of honey left, and they had had no honey at all taken from them. Sitting in a nice little sheltered spot between a 90 acre OSR field and 50 acres of beans, had flowers available to them since early May. Most sitting with two Lang deeps full of bees and brood, so in perfect nick for the hill, and the others have young queens and are now at about 7 bars of brood so will peak nicely in late August, but they have NO food. Departure delayed and a gallon of invert syrup going on today.

Not a bee race thing. The group contains both native and non native stock, both badly hit by hunger.
Are they in polystyrene or wood?

Are they in polystyrene or wood?

Both. Broadly similar. If anything poly is marginally worse than wood, but then they breed more, which after all is what I want. Starvation is a sods law consequence of bad weather and an opposite consequence of normal.

A few flowers on some plants opened but most are a week of so away yet, was up yesterday evening and it was very very cold,

if the weather stays cold like this is there any point in moving hives up or will the ling produce at lower temps???

Darren

The weather we have been having I think the heather is our only saviour! Its not out yet here in S.Wales. How close would you say is the optimum distance to site hives if you can put them directly on it?

As far in among it as you can, preferable 2 to 3 miles into moorland, sat in heather. Grouse shooting butts are ideal....but alas are in use during the heather season. The buggers will go for anything else if they can. I'm only a mile into the moors proper and find contamination with wood sage and a couple of other unidentified pollen's in heather honey. I have mine behind a stone wall for shelter with heather the other-side of the wall.

First hint of colour in the Ling on the Western edges of the Yorkshire Moors. Last week not a hint of colour.

I'm sure that's right. Foraging heather is very hard work I've been told so best that the bees don't have an easier alternative.

I've found you need very strong colonies to make any honey from a trip to the moors.
I think part of the reason they don't like working the heather is they have to crawl from floret to floret and they prefer to fly between them. Also not a lot of nectar or pollen per floret.
But worth all the effort. Just the smell of the heather honey wafting up through the supers as you remove the roof is enough to put a very satisfied grin on my face. Nothing like it.

Still at least two weeks off .hardly anything flowering yet on this side of Exmoor

The mountain is starting to colour in the distance so taking hives up this morning

heather

some of the bell heather is out, but the ling heather is not yet out here on Islay. hope the weather gets a wee bit better, then i may get some honey this year. as yet nothing. Ianf.

I've found you need very strong colonies to make any honey from a trip to the moors.
I think part of the reason they don't like working the heather is they have to crawl from floret to floret and they prefer to fly between them. Also not a lot of nectar or pollen per floret.
But worth all the effort. Just the smell of the heather honey wafting up through the supers as you remove the roof is enough to put a very satisfied grin on my face. Nothing like it.

Spiders !

Talking of spiders......when I took the roof off one wooden hive two days ago there were 25 (yes counted them :) ) Harvestmen camped between the recess in the box and the roof....yes yes I know they are not spiders but they do look like them.
What does this mean?
Will it be a hard winter?
Who knows?

Good honey flow from the bell heather going on now.

Mine on the edge of a large patch of heather (about 200 acres )
seem to be flying in the oposit direction. Although there is a lot of rosebay willow herb in full flower as well.

Latest posts

Back