Poly Hives - Do they NEED painting ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a thread on here on painting poly I've plumped for smooth masonry paint on my mating nucs (about the only thing I havein poly) Cuprinol shades has been mentioned (may be wrong there) or even emulsion paint

The uv can penetrate the box completely and will degrade inside and out. I have some swienty boxes that are perhaps 20 years old and they are very brittle.

After talking to swienty they advised me that it's because they were unpainted.

The uv can penetrate the box completely and will degrade inside and out. I have some swienty boxes that are perhaps 20 years old and they are very brittle.

After talking to swienty they advised me that it's because they were unpainted.

:nature-smiley-005::nature-smiley-005::nature-smiley-005: As I'm going to be 64 in a couple of months the prospect of anything that will last 20 years without maintenance is rather appealing ... by the time I get to 84 I suspect that there will be more than my hives that is getting brittle !!!

Mind you ... still think I'm going to paint it - by the time I get to 84 they may have discovered how to keep me living till I'm 120 !! Eternal optimist that I am ....

I have just re-painted some of mine and they look nearly as good as new :)

After reading lots of threads on here i have painted mine with B&Q colours exterior gloss , Buckingham green they look great but needed two coats a much better bond and a lot harder wearing than fence paint or emulsion.e

My Paynes are sprayed with Plastikote forest green.
They need maybe three coats but dry in a flash and whole hive can be done in a couple of hours drying in the sunshine.
Left outside over night there is no residual smell.

As I'm going to be 64 in a couple of months the prospect of anything that will last 20 years without maintenance is rather appealing

Mmmmm
Every time I look on Facebook there is a message asking me if I'm 64 next birthday and do I want life insurance especially tailored for me.

My Paynes are sprayed with Plastikote forest green.
They need maybe three coats but dry in a flash and whole hive can be done in a couple of hours drying in the sunshine.
Left outside over night there is no residual smell.

That sounds like a plan ...

Mmmmm
Every time I look on Facebook there is a message asking me if I'm 64 next birthday and do I want life insurance especially tailored for me.

Yes... I get the feeling that I'm nearing the point where SAGA stop sending me junk mail ... I seem to be getting more than my fair share of 'Have you provided for your family in case anything happens to you ?' mail at present.

Having PROVIDED for my family for the last near 40 years ... and still doing most of their DIY, decorating and house maintenance ... the question which never seems to get answered is 'when do the family start providing for me ?'.

I'm not expecting a rush ...

Strange as it seems they just may like it.

I've just started painting my wooden hives with it, after testing for a season they don't bother with it, but wont leave you alone whilst painting them, but you must leave for a week to get rid of the smell.

When painting mine I mixed a little sand with the paint for the feeder to help the bees to grip the sides better. It seems to work well. I think it was a tip from someone on this forum last year.

I've also cut the feeder out to make eight frame hive
DSC_0001.jpgATTACH]

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 32
I have painted all of mine....matchy matchy pastels. I have found that Weathercoat smooth masonry covers well with 2 coats. I get the testers...lots of colours to choose from.

I've also cut the feeder out to make eight frame hive
View attachment 12188ATTACH]

They look like my 8 frame food box nucs. £6 each , or £8.50 with an entrance disc and mesh floor.
I'm such a cheapskate !
IMG_20150729_194423_zpsgzawyceb.jpg

looks good and does the same job, a like of paint wouldn't go amiss (cheapskate) where did you get them from

Latest posts

Back