Poly Hives - Do they NEED painting ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi Everyone, I've recently bought a Paynes Poly Hive ... out of absolute necessity I would add ... very pleased with it and apart from some minor niggles with it that have been well documented previously on here it's a nice piece of kit.

I had to put bees in it on the day it arrived (and it's obviously still occupied) so I didn't have the opportunity to paint it.

So.... the question I have is ... Is it essential to paint the outside ?

(I've seen all the threads on here about WHAT to paint them with but none seem to say that it's necessary).

I now have another hive that I could temporarily move the bees, currently in the poly hive, into if I need to ... but I'd prefer to leave them where they are rather than disturb them.

I could easily just paint the roof as I could make another temporary roof very quickly - I'm considering replacing the poly roof with a deep, well insulated, timber one anyway.

What do you think ?

Last edited:
Paint. Also be aware that bee quick melts poly hives.

I would only really paint them for orientation purposes. The four bee colours are black, white, blue and yellow.

Mine came with a leaflet saying that they will give many years of service unpainted... but even longer service if painted.

On the nuclei there is a note that you should paint the inside of the integrated feeders if you are using thin syrup.

I have had polys 27 years and I have noticed painting very usefull.
Those oldest boxes are still in use.

One reason is foragers have difficulties to fly directly Into
entrances. Bees whirl quite A while in front OF unpainted hive Before they go in.

Last edited:
I have an out apiary.

As an anti-theft, I have splotch paint sprayed my poly nucs. Where the (car) paint has run, the surface has dissolved slightly.

I remember John ex MB answering this a few years ago.
He stated that yes best to paint because although the exterior surface of the hive looks smooth in fact there are minute fissures which will allow a little water in and when it freezes cracks can develop.
Also, painted poly will have better UV resistance.

More here
http://www.----------------.co.uk/item/574/masonry-paint

as above - aside from the tiny gaps prone to freeze damage and algal colonisation the big problem is UV damage - take a look at a PH that's been outside for a year. the surface is slightly powdery. painting prevents all these problems.

one just has to decide whether the time it takes to paint the hive adequately (not talking massive batches and spray gun) is worth it.

sure if nothing else to do over winter instead of twiddling thumbs (or other things - you'll go blind you know) but an emergency poly nuc purchase in swarm season? - £30 investment which'll last ok without paint or investing 15-30 minutes of your valuable time at a busy period for a slightly longer return on your initial outlay. Your choice.

Last edited:
I have an out apiary.

As an anti-theft, I have splotch paint sprayed my poly nucs. Where the (car) paint has run, the surface has dissolved slightly.

Yes, I have the same with car spray and Paint does not stay long.

Last edited:
"is photo degradable so will eventually deteriorate in sunlight so yes, paint it."

like all them young ladies posting selfies on twatter etc.

degrading themselves via photos. and covering themselves with several thick coats of protection.

"is photo degradable so will eventually deteriorate in sunlight so yes, paint it."

like all them young ladies posting selfies on twatter etc.

degrading themselves via photos. and covering themselves with several thick coats of protection.

Hilarious but too accurate :)

... Is it essential to paint the outside ?

Advisable, but not essential. They will last just as long without painting but the surface will degrade slightly and you'll get algal growth between the polystyrene pellets.

For what they cost and the time and aggro painting, it's just not worth doing.
They'll last years without anyway.

Tooooo busy beekeeping to mess about with that.

I paint mine. Sunlight deteriorates plastic and will shorten the life of the hive. Also gives protection against scratches n scrapes. Seems the sensible thing to do to me.

Well ... thanks everyone ... looks like the general concensus then is YES paint it.

I have to wait another week or so to see if the virgin in there has mated and then, if all is well, I'm going to move them into another hive and paint the poly one ...makes more sense to do it asap and have it ready for them when they start expanding to a full colony and for overwintering (of course I'm being an optimist ....but not much change there !).

Thanks again. Phil.

"Well ... thanks everyone ... looks like the general concensus then is YES paint it."

but what with?

Latest posts

Back