How fast can I move my hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obee1

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
11 ish plus some nucs
So my OH wants the bucky hive moved to the end of the garden as there are too many flying bees where he wants to work in the garden. Of course it would be the biggest hive! Today I moved it backwards about three feet. iIt will need to go over to the left about 8 feet. Unfortunately it has to be done in straight lines instead of direct or it will land in the middle of a flower bed which I can't put a flat base in. So when should I next move it. Bear in mind that it has to be dismantled to move. I may be able to lift the stand plus double brood boxes but maybe stand plus one brood. Depends if help is around.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 78
Could you make 1 move onto a trolley or wheelbarrow to make the next moves easier until you reach the destination?

You have only posted the photo to make me jealous! 6 supers! Huh!
I would ask him to wait until winter when you can move it where you want! Offer him some incentive!
E

NOW....I hate you......showing off is frowned on!
You only made that post so you could show us your lovely honey tower block!
I am going to hide my teeny tower...which I felt quite proud of before being exposed to the sight yours....not worthy

They might bee empty supers just to make us all jealous. He never said they were full.

South Wales?
Parallel universe more like!
Wait till the bees eat the honey. If they don't know how to they can come and ask mine :)

No...I am sure they are brimming.
My bees are going there for a course in ...Honey Making!

Guys chill- the top one is empty I just added it today - because the others are so full:sorry:

Worried the legs on stand will buckle so chocked it up with bricks. And oh did I mention I already did a partial harvest from this hive 2 weeks ago :)

Btw it's five supers - two of which are rose size. Double brood box at bottom.

Last edited:
:ban:
Guys chill- the top one is empty I just added it today - because the others are so full:sorry:

Worried the legs on stand will buckle so chocked it up with bricks. And oh did I mention I already did a partial harvest from this hive 2 weeks ago :)

Btw it's five supers - two of which are rose size. Double brood box at bottom.

:ban:
I vote a ban....excessive honey super display!!!

moving backwards, there's no need, they just think they've put the air brakes on too early and quickly adjust (done it with a hive and observed no problems)
If you do it in the morning they'll have adjusted by the afternoon so you can start again the morning after. as for sideways, they may mill around a while at the last site but quickly find the hive - they'd do the same whether you wait a day or ten days

They're not going to miss spotting that if you moved it a few feet.

Latest posts

Back