what would you do ???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter's shed

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
saw this on facebook and then on youtube, seems the beekeepers neighbours are not bee lovers, but watching the film, he is so calm about it, I think if it were me, I'd be hell bent on revenge, so what would you do?

https://youtu.be/BldRCV4hTaw

saw this on facebook and then on youtube, seems the beekeepers neighbours are not bee lovers, but watching the film, he is so calm about it, I think if it were me, I'd be hell bent on revenge, so what would you do?

https://youtu.be/BldRCV4hTaw

From the look of the last few seconds of video, it looked as though there were new 'foundations' going in for more hives, closer to the house of the idiot next door! Revenge is a dish best served cold!;)

Reading the comments on you tube that go with this video, I wonder what the cops made of this? It seems the guy who owns the hives hasn't given an update.

Before I even had my brain wave about getting into beekeeping, if that was next to my house where my kids would play, I'd have burnt every last one of them without even batting an eyelid! IMO they are to close to someone elses house! In this game, you can't be selfish because these bees can be a right pain in the hole and can even cause death!

There appear to be a lot of hives in that garden. If it were me I wouldn't have had them so close to the fence if the neighbour wasn't happy. That being said, pretty nasty action by the neighbour.

a quick rap over the knuckles with a cricket bat would bring a laugh I'm sure - and what about spraying something back the other way? I'd be keeping a bucket in the bathroom for just such an eventuality

I wouldn't have started by asking rhetorical questions over the fence.
The neighbour would only have discovered I was there when the spray can was ripped from their hand...

As I understand it, you are allowed to use minimum force to protect your person and property from attack.

the problem with the cricket bat is that fetching a weapon can be judged to be pre-meditated, so that becomes an assault, instead of self-defence.

Last edited:
A garden would be a reasonable place to claim to have "found" a cricket bat.
I actually had this chat with a currently serving judge(soon to retire).
I was assaulted, I beat up the four of them and kicked them around my drive till the police came for them(policing as my first trade).
Whilst I was still giving my statement a bunch 8-10 came back and tried to kick my door through, then came back again as I was preparing to go get stitched up.
Anyway I spoke to the judge reference my idea for a "Bee Bomb" ie. a few thousand bees in a box to be thrown out the door if they returned.
In his opinion, that would be completely "reasonable" force and therefore self defence and even in the event of death from Anaphylaxis , I could not be responsible for the vagueness of allergic reactions. On top of this, he doudts even if a judge felt it wasn't self defence that no court could convict because you simply don't own your bees when they're not in their box, they are legally wild animals and you can't control their behaviour. The only exception to that would be if there as an existing control order on your bees.
So there you have it, the solution to neighbourly bad beehaviour(and my last post)

Last edited:
IMO they are to close to someone else's house! In this game, you can't be selfish because these bees can be a right pain in the hole and can even cause death!

see I don't see that as close to the house, his or his neighbour,
I have my bees in a similar position, yet bribe my close neighbours with free jars of honey or cut comb, everyone loves my bees, even when I'm clambering over their fences to pick up missed swarms

https://youtu.be/LPj-GcLuMUM

Does your neighbor have small kids playing in the garden thou.

yes she does, and the garden behind, the difference is, you take time and talk to children and show them that bees are nothing to be scared off, many a time they will be peering over the fence watching, too many people that are afraid of anything BUZZING, instill that fear on their kids, keeping children/adults away from your bees does not help educate people.
yes I make sure all the colonies are docile bees, any angry bees get moved to my woodland, the occasional swarm is watched in awe as not many people get to witness them,

Mine does. The youngest often leans on the fence 5 yards away from me and chats when I inspect.
My primary school age grandchildren stand even closer when they visit.
Never a problem, and I agree, educating people to not be scared is best for everyone.

Accidents can happen, just hope none of these educated bystanders are around when they do.
Education is one thing, irresponsibility is another.

Accidents can happen, just hope none of these educated bystanders are around when they do.
Education is one thing, irresponsibility is another.

exactly, but that's why it's called an accident, although in this case, it would be called a bee sting, figure that's what your referring too, of course they could get stung anywhere, so surely we should lock everyone up just to be safe, or is that going too far......

irresponsibly in my eye's would be not telling close neighbours about them, or saying, of course it's ok to throw stones at the hives, the bees won't mind one bit

Just a bee sting? Yeah, right. Opening hives with kids within a couple of yards, without the luxury of beesuit and veil? That's responsible?
The accident of a colony of bees going ballistic can be avoided by not putting others at risk, all very well dealing with the problem but until it happens you have no idea of the outcome. Maybe a child in hospital, a dead dog? Good luck with your argument when the parent or owner is pounding your head in.
It's been my experience that you are more likely to be stung around the vicinity of the hive, add a few more and you simply increase the chances.

Just a bee sting? Yeah, right. Opening hives with kids within a couple of yards, without the luxury of beesuit and veil? That's responsible?
The accident of a colony of bees going ballistic can be avoided by not putting others at risk, all very well dealing with the problem but until it happens you have no idea of the outcome. Maybe a child in hospital, a dead dog? Good luck with your argument when the parent or owner is pounding your head in.
It's been my experience that you are more likely to be stung around the vicinity of the hive, add a few more and you simply increase the chances.

I would agree on this one. Wasn't so long ago that a colony that has always been very gentle went ballistic on me, they went nuts! I imagine anyone standing nearby would have got attacked too, my partner who was stood nearby, but suited got it too. They really went for me, then the next inspection, they were back to how they have always been. It is always a possibility.

Why don't you get their parents to buy them a suit and invite them to help? It would be a much safer option, they are clearly interested :)

so you reckon that everyone on this forum has no hives in their gardens, and keep their bees isolated and away from passers by, if we sit at our computers looking for all the risks in this world, we can make anything sound scary and those that do it irresponsible, in fact your reply made me google it, google's great aint it, so in 2010 a total of 2 people adults/children were killed by either bees/wasps/hornets, so directly by bees may have been even zero, but lets say it's 2
in the same year in an "accident" 258 people were killed as passengers in a car, so I presume that because you would never put anyone in a dangerous position intentionally, you do not drive a car, or if you do, you do not take any passengers, as you'd have around 256 more chances of putting them in danger compared to a bee sting, and that would make you even more irresponsible than me wouldn't it

or do you think, that everyone everyday does risk assessments in their heads and gauges if something is safe or not, that includes those of us that keep bees in our back gardens

heres the link I found the info on, crazy some of the accidents that happen, I mean you are around 3 times more likely to die in the bath, than via a bee sting, good reason to stop washing don't you think ??

http://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...atistics-causes-death-england-wales-2010#data

Latest posts

Back