conbining question againg

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenovice

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Aim for 4 but tend to end with 15
I have now 5 strong colonies that are all doing very well but I want to end up with 2 hives again. I have 3 genetic strains of which 2 have a daughter hives from an AS earlier this year. 1 is extremely docile, sitting on the comb without moving but swarmed faster than I could keep up with. the second is bringing in tons of honey and draws comb as a hobby and drops only 1 varroa a day despite never have treated for varoa but is slightly agressive. the third is less agressive than number 2, produces a lot of honey too but are very prone to varroa (had oxilic multiple times and Maqs a couple of weeks back and is now again at 10 varoa/day.

What queens would you choose to be going for the chop?

Main Flow seems over here so combining for harvest is not really necessary. would you combine now or in spring?

120 views and not even a sneer about the stupidity of the question... must be holidays :)

It's got to be the one that brings the honey in that you keep... But I would like to think you know that!
E

would you combine now or in spring

Before the winter, anyway.
I combined two pairs of hives this spring, they made early swarm preps, I had to AS early and the bad weather produced two duff queens

I have now 5 strong colonies that are all doing very well but I want to end up with 2 hives again. I have 3 genetic strains of which 2 have a daughter hives from an AS earlier this year. 1 is extremely docile, sitting on the comb without moving but swarmed faster than I could keep up with. the second is bringing in tons of honey and draws comb as a hobby and drops only 1 varroa a day despite never have treated for varoa but is slightly agressive. the third is less agressive than number 2, produces a lot of honey too but are very prone to varroa (had oxilic multiple times and Maqs a couple of weeks back and is now again at 10 varoa/day.

What queens would you choose to be going for the chop?

Main Flow seems over here so combining for harvest is not really necessary. would you combine now or in spring?

Why not buy a queen in? We have re-queened all our hives this year with Buckfast, I'm sure the money would be well spent.

He has one that is docile but gathers little honey, one that is a good honey gatherer but is 'slightly aggressive'. If he re-queens from a good breeder then he should get a better quality of proven bees.

thanks for the replies!
the slightly aggressive one is a buckfast i bought in this year. So, buying queen is not always better.

He has one that is docile but gathers little honey, one that is a good honey gatherer but is 'slightly aggressive'.
And the other three?
Seems to be an obsession on here - the answer to everything is buy in a Buckfast queen! they're not the holy grail you know

Your not keeping bees to make money so keep the colonies you like the most and give you the most enjoyment.
The buckies that are a little aggressive, her daughters will probably be worse.
Your bees your choice really.

Dispose of the mother that gave you the worst daughter Queens and those daughters in your opinion not ours you have to work them pleasure not punishment.

Use the old queen that gave the best daughter Queens (assume she survives winter) to breed from next season. Start making your own strain of local bee.

Colin

Latest posts

Back