Bramble Nectar Flow on

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Scotland the bramble is the fruit. The plant is a bramble bush. I had never even heard the name blackberry until I was in my late teens and in England was offered Apple and Blackberry pie. It was delicious of course, but strangely similar to the Bramble and Apple pie my mother used to make.

Interesting quote from the Met office main man here in the paper this weekend.

July ( here in Ireland ) was average, every decade on average we get two really good summers, two really bad and six average. So this constitutes an " average" summer here and probably the same in the UK.

2014 was one of the two really good ones.

It is 15 degrees here today, grey, rained all day yesterday, 14 degrees.... if that is average God help us !

I live in hope... hope that had me assembling super frames yesterday, whilst watching the endless rain and howling wind ..
I'd still classify this as a very poor year, we never got any heat until June, so they were always trying to catch-up which just wasn't possible this year, will probably average only 40-45lbs here

I'd still classify this as a very poor year, we never got any heat until June, so they were always trying to catch-up which just wasn't possible this year, will probably average only 40-45lbs here

Lol....I'd kill for that this year! Average thus far is a massive 4lb per colony with some still to extract, so might get up to 8lb from the blossom sources. However the heather is still to come but for now with the truly unpleasant forecast for a very cool and wet August I would take an annual average of 40lb with delight and move on to next year.

Lol....I'd kill for that this year! Average thus far is a massive 4lb per colony with some still to extract, so might get up to 8lb from the blossom sources. However the heather is still to come but for now with the truly unpleasant forecast for a very cool and wet August I would take an annual average of 40lb with delight and move on to next year.

Indeed... 40lbs per hive would take gladly !

As for wet August... 5 day max forecasting and even then can be so wrong.. Glass half full... Heatwave on the way .. saw it in the tea leaves this AM ! :)

Lol....I'd kill for that this year! Average thus far is a massive 4lb per colony with some still to extract, so might get up to 8lb from the blossom sources. However the heather is still to come but for now with the truly unpleasant forecast for a very cool and wet August I would take an annual average of 40lb with delight and move on to next year
Id say in euros of honey per hive your 40lb average would be similar enough if not better than my 55-60lb!! Is your weather similar enough to ours with a longer winter?

Id say in euros of honey per hive your 40lb average would be similar enough if not better than my 55-60lb!! Is your weather similar enough to ours with a longer winter?

No winter is longer than ours, as i realised yesterday evening when I had to put the central heating on !

No winter is longer than ours, as i realised yesterday evening when I had to put the central heating on !

Or due to the fact that approximately 30 seconds ago I was watching the torrential downpour of Hailstones.... Yes.... HAILSTONES bouncing off the office window !!

We had some modest bramble/wild blackberry flow ( soon will be ripe to eat) and somewhat on the edge - to extract or not.. And it poured and filled with honeydew. As for honeydew - we don't get it each year. But when conditions match it hit nicely.
We rarely leave blackberry alone due to small qty, we extract it together with lime ( if yield).
About yields.. This year as stationary approx per hive I extracted so far 92lb, when extract lime it will be near 110lb I supose ( my mentor who is migratory has siginificant more). Last year was catastrophy and avg was around 24 lb and bees were better conditioned for targeted forages.. Nature..

we have got blackberry still in bud and flower plus a lot of privet in flower so still got a flow on

Latest posts

Back