Poly nuc entrance discs keep closing.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi ALl

More of a heads up for people to keep an eye on your own.

Twice now I have gone to my hives and found my new this year poly nucs with the entrance discs rotated to the closed postion. (knowone has access to them)

I think that a combidation of been a bit slack and the weight of the grab tag, the rotate to close with tab at bottom.

I just move them to the desired condition, and pin the entrance disc in place with a coloured map pin, they then only move if you want them to.

Drawing pins are very useful things to have with you.

Which frame was that cell on? Obvious.

Bar of queen cells... Obvious...

KISS

Just do remember to REMOVE the marker when finished...LOL

PH

Are the discs too deep for drawing pins?

I have to admit I never shut mine in, apart from the start when they are stuffed with grass, after that they are wide open until mouse guard time.

PH

Thankyou for some more useful tips, drawing and map pins now included in my kit box.not worthy

Gaffer tape is very useful for keeping things closed when you can't risk them opening ie transporting nuc in car.:eek:

Ziggy

Seen the price of that stuff!

I just looked to day in B&thingy and it was over £9!!!!!!! a roll!!!!!!

Eye watering

PH

Oh,

I get my gaffer tape from my son, he's a stage hand and they use it for sticking the wires down so the musicians don't trip over. I get it free, never thought about the cost.....................damn good stuff though.

Ziggy

Only need two things in your toolbox:

Not stuck and it should be = gaffer tape

Stuck and it shouldn't be = WD40

If we're talking toolbox rather than bee keeping kit box then the "tapometer" AKA hammer, is the must have. Does everything, the men in my life assure me that the bigger it is the better too;)

One thing our association discovered with these discs, don't be tempted to use the queen excluder part in order to discourage swarms from absconding. A couple of swarms boiled because they became clogged and jammed in. Seen some reports of the slots being undersized, whether it was this, some drones present or simply too much traffic, it's not a good idea.
I'd rather see a larger entrance behind the disc myself.

Only need two things in your toolbox:

Not stuck and it should be = gaffer tape

Stuck and it shouldn't be = WD40

9 lb Lump hammer works for both :smash:

Seen the price of that stuff!

I just looked to day in B&thingy and it was over £9!!!!!!! a roll!!!!!!

You can get reinforced tape for a bit more than 10% of that price. It's decent stuff, with a good strong glue too.

Latest posts

Back