Reliable way to stop cats .. a plea for help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I moved to Wales.....I had a lovely border of flowers at the front of the house under the bay windows. The soil was clay...so completely unworkable...my lovely OH put soil down for me to plant my geraniums etc. after admiring them at length.....off we went to bed. The next morning the plants were all askew...and there was copious amount of sloppy cat poo!
So during the day....I spent time putting up some electric fencing. Very fine wire and the strands close together...to about two feet in height.
That night....I heard some tussling under the windows...followed by screaching cats. Never again did I have to deal with cat poo!

Ha ha ...great video.....my electric fence worked though. There was a lot of screeching...I think one cat couldn't work out how to get out from behind the fence...so had to brave it by going back through. I can't say I felt bad .....I am sure they soon found somewhere else to leave their revolting deposits! Even when the fence was taken down some weeks later...we never had cat poo again!

Electric fence would not be practical in a front garden, too many accidents waiting to happen.
A water blaster sounds good but again, moggy would be doing a runner as soon as the door was opened. No real way of catching it in the act without being seen or heard coming.
The ultrasonic thing may cause my dogs as much discomfort as the intended feline but could be an overnight deterrent.
The current situation is a combination of tripwires and bamboo stakes sticking up everywhere which is a bit deflating because it's so ugly. The central area is being levelled ready for paving and this evening I've been laying out a web of bamboos over this area as well because it's started to use this instead since I put down a layer of sand and this thing leaves as much behind as one of the dogs, easily. It's bloody disgusting.
A bloke I worked with used to keep Pigeons and he used to trap offending moggies, put them in the car and as he put it, 'take them for a vacation'.

Terrier as solution never fails, just is problem where the pile of dead cats will be.. I have 2 terrier alike and 2 cats, always worriing to don't be in contact, cause I know what will happen in just 2 seconds..

Heh, it's the mess they might make though. Not worried about the cat, just the plants would be ruined.
Years ago, one of my old dogs chased a cat into the greenhouse. In through the door ...SMASH!!!... out through the back. :) He was a brilliant dog.

Terrier as solution never fails,

:iagree:
Had a friend who had a cross terrier/griffon basset and goodness knows what else - essential equipment for the morning walk was lead, poop scoop and entrenching tool for burying any cats he invariably killed!!

greetings,
we use the spikey ends of the palm fronds, works a treat, in the uk we used rose prunings.
at the moment we have a big problem with wild boar, I planted a big patch of borage three weeks ago and just as they were up to two true leaves along came the wild boar and mashed them into mush,

Get your own cat - they're territorial. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats (and at least 50000 bees), and there are no other cats. Or rats for that matter, although unfortunately there's a bit of collateral damage, with an impact on local mice, shrews and small birds.

A Staffordshire Bull Terrier and two Patterdale Terriers, it wouldn't last long. Plus I'd never have a cat in the house.

Get your own cat - they're territorial. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats (and at least 50000 bees), and there are no other cats. Or rats for that matter, although unfortunately there's a bit of collateral damage, with an impact on local mice, shrews and small birds.

Its "collatoral" damage like that which is helping towards the decline of our birdlife. There should be a curfew on cats like in Australia. I wonder how my neighbours would react if i let all my dogs out day & night to kill all the wildlife & **** in their gardens, i wouldnt need poo bags any more & they could feed themselves, that would go down well.

Its "collatoral" damage like that which is helping towards the decline of our birdlife. There should be a curfew on cats like in Australia. I wonder how my neighbours would react if i let all my dogs out day & night to kill all the wildlife & **** in their gardens, i wouldnt need poo bags any more & they could feed themselves, that would go down well.

I don’t think your dog would come home if it started regularly shitting in a lot of rural gardens. Country folk I know have their own ideas of justice.

I don’t think your dog would come home if it started regularly shitting in a lot of rural gardens. Country folk I know have their own ideas of justice.

True enough & people wonder why their cats disappear!

Latest posts

Back