Bottles for mead

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Chick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I'm ready to bottle up my mead, but I'm after some nice bottles 500 ml type with a cork, there was a stall at the convention selling mead and they have the bottles I'm after. I searched the web but not come across that type of bottle.
Any help would be great.

Last edited:
I use some that I get from wilkinsons if you have any near you, 6 bottles with the wire and clay tops that you can open/close, like the old pop bottles if you can remember them, cost just over £6

I'd definitely go for cork tops.
Mead is a complicated drink and improves vastly with age.
The trouble with impervious tops is that the wine doesn't breathe. What you bottle is largely what you will drink.
Now add a permeable cork and it will take on different nuances as time goes by.
I bottled some mead in 2013 into plastic screw tops .....I know I know....but I didn't know any better. Half of the bottling was moved a month later into glass 500ml corked bottles and the difference is striking.
It is even more of a difference in the fruit melomels I made. I will never go back to screw tops.
PS Sorry, this doesn't answer where to get the bottles though :(

Last edited:
when given out, my mean does not stay bottled for that long,lol

you looked on pattesons website?

If you're thinking of showing, those are increasingly difficult to get one or two from the supermarket to recycle. "750 ml clear glass wine bottles with shoulders, Bordeaux style, and a good punt in the base." in the National Honey Show guidelines. Of over 200 white and rose wines on the supermarket shelf, only two were the right shape and colour with corks. Most supermarket wine these days is in screw tops.

I am going to be shot down in flames on this one. I used Grolsch flip top 500ml bottle for my mead. 3 bottles for £5 and you get the larger as well!!!!

I have several boxes of brown beer bottles in my loft.......Big size ones...

Not big big but bigger than the small ones.....

Should also have one of the things for putting the crown top on......

Anybody local can come and collect for a reasonable donation to my Support the Bentley fund.

Latest posts

Back