Mating nuc food

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
I have used 1:1 syrup ( messy as it spills)
above with a pollen substitute ( thicker and bees seem to leave the pollen substitute on the bottom!)
Home made candy ( 117 degree boiled stuff)
a solid mix of 1:1 plus pollen substitute ( some bees love it.. others not

what do you put in your mini mating nucs?

Looking at using 1;1 thymolated ( ie 2:1 Hivemaker's recipe diluted to 1:1) mixed with a radiated pollen ( not a substitute) with white caster .. to a almost solid paste.

reason for the thymol is that the bees seemed to like it and it stops mold.

Yeghes da
Possibly should be under ....Queen Breeding & Rearing.?

Last edited:
what do you put in your mini mating nucs?

Only ever use Bako fondant from spring until October, then only the quad boxes get 1 liter of thymolised syrup, and fondant for the rest of the winter.

Last edited:
neopol or candipol, for the same resaon at HM, syrup is too messy and that i like the concept of the extra pollen while they are locked in awaiting a QC or virgin

Last edited:
It doesn't make a lot of difference with a mating nuc. Not exactly brooding a lot? Thought I pehaps ought to point out that the topic is mating nucs, so those that might think it is any nuc at this time of the year will not be getting the wrong message.

Either a margarine tub of fondant on a 3 frame mating nuc or a comb honey tub of fondant in an Apidea will last for 3 weeks which is when I next inspect for successful mating.
Alec

Bakers fondant. By the time they need any pollen to feed brood, the young workers you added are old enough to forage for it.

Latest posts

Back