Move from standard National to 14x12

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwyns

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Quite a few, wife says too many!!
I would like some advice please. I have my hives on standard National brood boxes and would like to get them onto 14x12 boxes for the winter. Can it still be done at this time of year and if so, what is the best method. Many thanks for your help.

Can be done. Might be slow. Bailey comb change is likely best.

Alternatives might be leaving til next spring and overwintering on a brood and a shallow (with stores).

Or you could dump the frames into the deeper box and let them build wild comb, then change the frames next spring?

RAB

Hope you have a good back - we changed one hive to 14x12...and they are a lovely strong hive - but I can't inspect as I am too short to lift them high enough, and they are too heavy. We are going to re-box in standard National next Spring...

Hope you have a good back - we changed one hive to 14x12...and they are a lovely strong hive - but I can't inspect as I am too short to lift them high enough, and they are too heavy. We are going to re-box in standard National next Spring...

...but buckwyns may also have a tall husband? :D

Back