Advice re storing "wet" supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 Plus
Hi

Presently have 2 supers extracted , still " wet " was going to wrap in super box , in cling film and store in my attic until next season ? Potential problems ? Is a fairly mouse free zone and would set a trap if necessary.

Also is it a problem in any way to then in spring put under/nadir for cleaning ?

Or should I approach differently ?

Brian

Or should I approach differently ?

Store them outside covered top and bottom if possible, freezing weather will help prevent any wax moth problems, and just put them back on top the hive in spring when required.

Thanks Guys

Storage outside not possible, have nice cold ventilated attic, also outside would be wary of rats getting wind of wet frames

most would put on top of hives at end of summer to allow the bees to clean up.

Realise that Ta, but latter part of year wasn't great for me so all sorts of things beekeeping and other went unatended to

Cling film? Is that mouse proof?

I store outside, as Hivemaker, with initial sulphur dioxide treatment and re-evaluate re any further teatment, dependent on the weather.

Why even consider nadiring in spring? Supering at the appropriate time is the simple way to go?

So just like Hivemaker, really.

Ta

Cling film? Is that mouse proof?

Certainly not... Thought .. ( maybe not ?? ) had prev read doing so would seal in scent thus thwarting the little gits ?

So are you saying wrapping completely in cling film is a waste of time ?

Ta

Yes
If you are storing inside just make sure the boxes are sealed top and bottom. I store mine wet in garden shed they stand in a stack inside one of those big black plastic garden trays that so many here use. Similar on top.
Bess are straight up into wet supers in the spring. Any mouldy pollen etc will quickly get cleaned up.

Yes
If you are storing inside just make sure the boxes are sealed top and bottom. I store mine wet in garden shed they stand in a stack inside one of those big black plastic garden trays that so many here use. Similar on top.
Bess are straight up into wet supers in the spring. Any mouldy pollen etc will quickly get cleaned up.

Wrap mine in palletwrap, keeps them nice and tight together and no problems with meese, mold or moth
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ta

No - cling film a bit of a faff but it will work - juat seal up in a plastic bag - keeps the bees from sniffing the honey out.

Storing them wet is a lot less fuss than putting them back on the hives for the bees to clean out.

It has a role.
But not against mice.

A couple of days in the freezer kills wax moth (all stages).
But it doesn't prevent reinfestation.
Cling film can stop new ones getting in.
And wrapping them before putting them in the freezer makes more sense than doing it afterwards.

I have only one wet super. I have wrapped it in a bin liner and storing it in an old freezer in my car port, I also keep my new foundation in the same freezer this is sealed in polythene and kept flat.

I'd put a hard top cover over the super if storing in a loft, sandwich and strap between two cover boards if you have spares (You can never have too many :).
It needn't be a cover board, could be a sheet of cardboard, but anything to stop the cling film getting punctured/torn.

You may have all sorts of visitors in a loft, bees, wasps, moths, hornets, small birds, if the cling film gets torn, then the smell will attract them, and something hard will at least deter if not prevent mice. (they'll chew through the wood if they're hungry).

Back