Moving colonys?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm wondering whether it would be best to move my bees now or wait until spring. If I move them now do I need to remove the roof/crown board and replace with a travel screen, or can I put the screen on top of the crown board?

If you move them now, move them carefully or risk disturbing the cluster - if you have OMF, no need for travel screen - assuming you have no gaping holes in the crown board

They are on OMF's with a hole in the crown board. I can easily block the hole up to stop them entering the roof space. I will be moving them 75 miles in a van. I could leave them 'til the weather cools off a bit more.

I'd move them now before it gets any colder - you don't want them in a tight cluster. And after you cover the gaping holes in the crown board - keep them covered unless feeding :D

I'd agree with JBM.

For a more-than-3-miles move, there's no point (or advantage) in doing it when it is freezing. Rather the reverse.

As long as there is the prospect of airflow under the mesh floors, and the van isn't warm, then for an hour or two, there should be no need to worry about travelling screens.

Should you be interested, the forum has plenty of threads about securing the hives for transit. Some like big staples, others advise parallel straps (to prevent boxes twisting), I've managed with taped 'seams' and one strap …

And JBM and I are also on the same page regarding holes in the coverboard. Close them, and, once at the new site, insulate above. Works nicely with the OMF.

Goodness gracious! OP joined in 2009!

Clusteting colonies do not 'overheat' at this time of the year! They use enough stores to maintain the cluster temperature, but are not trying to keep a large brood nest at 35 degrees C.

Common sense should dictate the transport conditions at this time of the year and are very much different than at other times, when the bees are working hard to keep the temperature in the hive at a sensible lower level. Think 20k bees slumbering, rather than 60k tending an additional 30k of brood.

Gaping holes in the crownboard - ugh!!!

Similar problem ... but the colonies so large that I left on 2 supers.
I know I can probably lose one super but they will need those stores before Spring. They were quite feisty so I didn't fancy the battle of putting the supers under before they settled for the winter ( and I couldn't lift the brood box as too heavy).
Now I need to move these 2 hives to a new out apiary as the wood they have been in for ages has become too dark and overgrown.

Do you think the colony will be clustered at the top or the base of the hive... or right in the middle.. ? usual bee preference in a larger area.

I cannot lift as a unit, even with help, as too big for the van..all suggestions welcomed.

Have tried cutting the trees, with the permission of the owner of the wood, but he's reluctant to cut more and the bees are still too shaded.
Shame as at the bottom of the South Downs. Have managed to move 5 colonies earlier but these last two are big and were feisty so I was waiting till cold shut down.
Moved to a better spot though :welcome:, no farmers spraying nearby and loads of good forage.

They are on OMF's with a hole in the crown board. I can easily block the hole up to stop them entering the roof space. I will be moving them 75 miles in a van. I could leave them 'til the weather cools off a bit more.
If flexible, I'd check weather forecasts for a day reaching 12 or 13C in the afternoon. Try to avoid breaking any clustering, but accidents and jolts happen. Move them early and if any bees get shaken off a cluster, they have an hour or two of mild temperatures even on the floor when they are mobile enough to rejoin.

Latest posts

Back