Books for Christmas

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haynes manual on beekeeping, I have never owned one but have read it and I would but it near the top as far as beginners books go.

I have it out from the library, it's really good.
Maybe someone could do a sticky on suggested reading for novices.

My last book to buy was A bee in my Bonnet by Louise Westwood. Loved it as not like your traditional bee book. It gives her experiences along with poems . Really enjoyed it. She also mentions the forum in it. Saw RAB was given a mention in it also.
Bees at the bottom of the garden is good. Ted Hoopers book.

Another slightly different idea - I enjoyed "Honey and Dust: Travels in Search of Sweetness" by Piers Moore Ede which is part travel story, part life story and part beekeeping. Our association library has a copy, presumably donated.
Also recommend the Dave Goulson books for those with general bee (bumble / solitary) / insect / ecology interests.

Rich

A slightly different slant, and maybe after you've read Tautz and Seeley, this looks interesting :- "Bee-sieged: Bees in Warfare" [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bee-sieged-Bees-Warfare-Ray-Jones/dp/1906542031"]Bee-sieged: Bees in Warfare: Amazon.co.uk: Ray Jones: 9781906542030: Books[/ame]

Hope this isn't hijacking your thread. Anybody able to give a review of Pam Gregory's book Healthy Bees Are Happy Bees? I understand it's available again now but at a fairly hefty £27.50. Might be more than my kids are prepared to spend on me for Christmas....

Hi all
Just finished "The Rose Hive Method " by Tim Rowe,

Fantastic read I thought !! in relation to the methodology he employs to manage his stocks and for his wider views on how we should manage Bees and his challenging of some conventional methods of managing hives.

As a beginner this year I bought T Hooper bees & honey & Bees at the bottom of your garden, I read Teds book right through 6 times to get it all to sink in before starting, also a practical manual to bee keeping, keeping bees a practical guide, & Haynes bee manual, I am half way through the urban beekeeper & to be honest, its a fun read but I haven't learnt anything from it that I hadn't from the other books. I got the missis to buy be the Collins book for Chrimbo & hopefully one or two more but I am trying to decide which so this list will help me too. Which is the best queen rearing book anyone? Just for rearing your own queens, not for mass production of queens?

I quite like this book
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dowsing-Ultimate-Guide-21st-Century/dp/1848502206"]Dowsing: The Ultimate Guide for the 21st Century: Amazon.co.uk: Elizabeth Brown: Books[/ame]

Latest posts

Back