Books for Christmas

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Christmas is coming, my family have asked if there any books I would like. My beekeeping books go back to the 1950s, so some newer ones would be great.

My question which I know will receive a variety of replies.

What books would you recommend

Mike

PS. Not in Welsh please although my mother came from Denbigh!!!!

Last edited:
Honeybee Democracy by Seeley. Outstanding … tells you how to set up bait hives and why the volume and location are important (and loads and loads of other stuff as well). Not about beekeeping, but all about bees.

My suggestion for anyone wanting to know a bit about "how bees work" (rather than beekeeping!) would be Winston's "The Biology of the Honey Bee".
Its a very good book, scientific without being impenetrable, including some of the classic anatomical drawings from Dade and Snodgrass, and summarising what you might have to trawl through lots of others to find. .
It isn't bang up to date (there's more been discovered since it was written), but it will get you a long long way down the road.

If you are interested in beekeeping, you should find it fascinating.
And being a paperback, and still 'in print', it isn't silly expensive.

Dw I'n caru Cymru

I do love Wales but I want a book on bees!!!!!

Honeybee Democracy by Seeley. Outstanding … tells you how to set up bait hives and why the volume and location are important (and loads and loads of other stuff as well). Not about beekeeping, but all about bees.

:iagree: then Ted Hooper - 'Bees and Honey as first choice, and second choice Clive De Bruyn 'Practical Beekeeping.
For a good general read - an oldie - Beekeeping in Britain ROB Manley as relevant now as then (well, most of it!)

Yes it is a VERY good book, informative but very easy going, and all beekeepers should read it.

But it is to be found in many public libraries … :) … and you probably wouldn't be referring back to it all that often.

Just checked neither held by Norfolk Libraries, but is on Amazon

"Bees and Honey" as first choice, and second choice Clive De Bruyn 'Practical Beekeeping@

Last edited:
Haynes manual on beekeeping, I have never owned one but have read it and I would but it near the top as far as beginners books go.

The buzz about bees by Jurgen Tautz. I have borrowed it from Norfolk libraries.
Cazza

Christmas is coming, my family have asked if there any books I would like.

Perhaps not your usual selection but these are good winter month books.

The Beekeeper's Lament: Hannah Nordhaus

Following the Bloom: Douglas Whynott

Reflections on Beekeeping: W S Robson

Perhaps not your usual selection but these are good winter month books.

The Beekeeper's Lament: Hannah Nordhaus
Deffo - nice to see the little self examination at one point when he realises the terrible things he may be doing to his bees

Honeybee Ecology by TD Seeley. A broader ranging but more compact book first published 1985.

and perhaps Heat and Mass transfer in Buildings :)

Last edited:
Now your on the subject how about;
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Igloo-Other-Shelters/dp/0393732150"]How to Build an Igloo: And Other Snow Shelters: Norbert E. Yankielun, Amelia Bauer: 9780393732153: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

How about broadening your reading by looking at marketing and promotion so you can sell more honey.

Slightly surprised nobody has suggested "A Sting in the Tale" by Goulson.
Bumble Bees.

How about this book, I know someone who would be delighted to have it ;)
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manuka-The-Biography-Extraordinary-Honey/dp/1775591638"]Manuka: The Biography of an Extraordinary Honey: Amazon.co.uk: Cliff Van Eaton: 9781775591634: Books[/ame]

Latest posts

Back