14x12 wired foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadnlad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A few and some more
Early this summer I made a decision to try out 14x12 broods next year.
Brood boxes have been duly purchased, built and and are sitting in the garage awaiting their tenants (bailey comb change once the girls are off and running)

I now find myself at the frame building stage, reading threads on here about collapsing wax in high summer :hairpull:

I will be using wired foundation and have read about attaching to the bottom bar with cable ties, but is it worthwhile adding horizontal wires/fishing line to strengthen or am I worrying too much ?

No need to worry as long as you are using wired foundation you will not have any problems, i used 14x12`s for years and never had a case of collapsing wax

They can give trouble, but it depends a lot on the beekeeper.

Getting them drawn properly and evenly may require some thought input, in some situations. A properly drawn frame should present no problem.

Early this summer I made a decision to try out 14x12 broods next year.
Brood boxes have been duly purchased, built and and are sitting in the garage awaiting their tenants (bailey comb change once the girls are off and running)QUOTE]

Bailey is a pain and slow. Shook swarm better even if you do sacrifice some eggs and brood. All over and done with in minutes so Q can get on with job sooner.

I would not recommend shook swarming from a deep into a 14 x 12, without some consideration from the beekeeper. Going from a small cavern to a much larger empty cavern cannot be seen as best for the bees. Particularly if the weather changes for the worse, as it can often do in the UK.

We suggested cable ties as we have 3 colonies that insist on removing the foundation all the way across the bottom and half way up the sides.

Just leaning a deg. or two to look for eggs is enough to get the comb leaning out of the frame. Cable ties have rectified the problem, it still leans but isn't going to fall out.

Cheers folks, I suspected I was worrying too much not worthy

Might still do the cable tie thing anyway, as I'm unlikely to be in this position again - belt and braces so to speak

3 colonies ... insist on removing the foundation all the way across the bottom and half way up the sides.

Don't they do this to improve the vibration of the "dance floor" - even partly free-hanging comb is not "damped" as much as one fixed all the way round.

Or have I dreamt this up - does anyone know different? ta

Cheers folks, I suspected I was worrying too much not worthy

Might still do the cable tie thing anyway, as I'm unlikely to be in this position again - belt and braces so to speak

I bailey change into three or four 14x12 frames and do similar with shooks though dont like doing them

only problem i have is if the are drawing and a flow stops, they nibble the foundation and the outer frames of store can get buckled or dettached from the bottom rail

Latest posts

Back