Tamerisk trees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It varies.
Last week, in Capernaum, on the shore of the Sea of Galilee, I stood under a tamerisk tree and found that it was being worked by a greater concentration of bees than any plant I've seen in this country. I looked at the other two trees in the garden, and they were similarly full of bees. Presumably, in hot countries bees work all the year round, and there probably wasn't much else for them to work.
Later, as my boat sailed by Capernaum, I scanned the shore and the hills behind with my binoculars, but couldn't spot any hives, and there was no local honey for sale in the shop.

Greetings Thorn,
we have a lot of tamarisk trees down in the Rambla which is a dry river bed, they flower in early june and both bees and wasps take full advantage, the honey is dark and richly flavoured,
at the moment the bees are working false pepper trees returning with bright orange pollen, adios.

No problem bringing honey into the UK from Palestine / Israel. However, I would always make sure the jars are well washed before they get to the recycle bin just in case. Heavenly honey produced between Bethlehem and Jericho!

Latest posts

Back