What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bees were out in force this morning .. it was dry but damp in the air and temp well up around 15 degrees. Fair amount of pollen coming back in various shades ... goodness only knows what they are finding - there's cyclamen in flower, primula and a clump of lavender in a neighbour's garden seems to be totally confused and is covered in flowers - checked it out and it's definitely lavender. Very mild even for the Costa del Fareham ... Drizzly rain tonight but still quite warm.

Just got back from an two day Computational fluid dynamics software users meeting.

There were lots o presentations about wave studies on oil platforms, Breakwaters, ships in heavy seas, coolant flow in machine tool drilling operations.
Starting conversations with people was rather funny watching their expressions, as you usually asked each other "whats your application? " , I would be all interested in their " The Turbulent Air flow inside train tunnels" for example , and then watch their jaw drop at my "Heat flow in honeybee nests".
They were very welcoming of a relatively aged guy with a really weird application (their average age must have been 25, mostly doing Phds in Mechanical Engineering) and I learned a lot (gave me a thumping headache!)

Just got back from an two day Computational fluid dynamics software users meeting.

There were lots o presentations about wave studies on oil platforms, Breakwaters, ships in heavy seas, coolant flow in machine tool drilling operations.
Starting conversations with people was rather funny watching their expressions, as you usually asked each other "whats your application? " , I would be all interested in their " The Turbulent Air flow inside train tunnels" for example , and then watch their jaw drop at my "Heat flow in honeybee nests".
They were very welcoming of a relatively aged guy with a really weird application (their average age must have been 25, mostly doing Phds in Mechanical Engineering) and I learned a lot (gave me a thumping headache!)
You may have given a few of them a headache too, that may ultimately benefit them by broadening their concepts of what can be used for what.:winner1st:

Incredible leve l of activity around the hive from which I knocked down 8,000 mites. Pollen pouring in. They're going to be fine. Phew.

Other treated colony a lot quieter and many fewer bees around. Slightly worrisome but not very.

Others also very busy. Fantastic season.

Hefted hives all heavy heavy low Wintery sun , bees undertaking , active but I suspect they're flying very local !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hefted hives, only one will need fondant soon, one so heavy couldn't even lift it a smidging. Busy cleansing flights mid dayish, from all hives, stood and watched and was covered in bee poo.

Hefted a few - still weigh a tonne. Bees flying, bringing in what must be the last of the ivy pollen in the area, and some buff pollen I couldn't guess at. It's as if it were a spring day!

Hefted a few - still weigh a tonne. Bees flying, bringing in what must be the last of the ivy pollen in the area, and some buff pollen I couldn't guess at. It's as if it were a spring day!

A Hebe is flowering next door and there are loads of bees working it and carrying white pollen

Bees on Rosemary flowers this morning as well as the Mahonia. A few very heavily pollen laden bees crashing into the landing boards.

How did you know they were broodless? Did you open the hive at 4 / 5 degrees?

Latest posts

Back