Weed Killing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst I am no fan of herbicides, I doubt that spraying a few dandelions around the edge of footpaths is going to make much of dent on the available forage. Local Authorities have been doing it for years.

If that were ALL they sprayed, then I might almost agree, but sadly most local authorities are trigger-happy with "icides" - often, if they didn't plant it, it's "a weed", and must be killed....

spraying weeds

Interesting reading everyone's views re spraying weeds, refering back to my original post my concerns are that we seem to have an ever diminishing supply of wild plants for bees and insects to live off and our local councils are just adding to the headache, no wonder the bee population is struggling to survivebee-smillie

sometimes brosville I think U will not be happy till we all move back in caves! everything we do has a knock on affect on wildlife be it bees or other animals from the cars we drive to the soap we wash ourselves with suggest U start at the top of the chain of killers then work your way down, I would prefer if we could give the job of hand picking weeds to the unemployed but I don’t think that will happen

"I think U will not be happy till we all move back in caves" - not at all - I'm looking forward to a time that we apply intelligence before we apply "icides" - a more civilised, safer time, when profit for multinationals comes AFTER our and the environment's safety.....
For years we've been fed the utter nonsense that in some way "icides" are "normal", desirable and indispensable, when they are no such thing - I never use them and garden quite happily without, organic food is grown all round the world without them, proving that we can very easily and beneficially "do without"..........

OK what about the paths u walk on the invasive plants that would kill all native plants that I kill,,im not disagreeing with u in ideal would we wouldn’t have to spray at all but its not going to change