Storing frames to protect against wax moth

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarPlum

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anyone help me please. All my books and google searches say that you should add paradichlorobenzene crystals to the top of a stack of supers over winter to protect against wax moth. I have a hive that has been completely destroyed by wax moth (it was a very weak hive following an AS during the thunderstorms). I am keen to eradicate it as much as I can and to ensure that I don't introduce this monster to other healthy hives. But I don't know where to buy the crystals. Any ideas? Thanks.

Chemicals are not necessary so I don't know where to get them. Buy a cheap chest freezer big enough to take a brood box. Before storing freeze box and frames, take out and store in black bin liner or sealed dark room.

Thanks Enrico. I am thinking this might be the answer. The only trouble is that I live in a shoe box with a postage stamp size garden. Where to put the said chest freezer is a problem. I think I'll ask around some friends and see if they have garden space I can use.

I haven't space for that, so may try Certan...

Certan works, but isn't cheap. This year I'm using 80% acetic acid to clear of wax moth and some other nasties.

Can anyone help me please. All my books and google searches say that you should add paradichlorobenzene crystals to the top of a stack of supers over winter to protect against wax moth. I have a hive that has been completely destroyed by wax moth (it was a very weak hive following an AS during the thunderstorms). I am keen to eradicate it as much as I can and to ensure that I don't introduce this monster to other healthy hives. But I don't know where to buy the crystals. Any ideas? Thanks.

I'm not comfortable with using too many chemicals, and I understand that wax moth will be killed if frames are frozen for a couple of days. Could you put them in your freezer in batches?

failing that, is it necessary to keep the drawn frames until next year? Would it be feasible to melt them down and carefully clean the frames, then re-wax for the spring?

You could try sulphur strip burner, easy to use and cheap. Use them for storing your boxes of frames, not for use in a live hive!

I've just bought a chest freezer to store mine in - I'm not having all that wax moth mess again
:toetap05:

is it necessary to keep the drawn frames until next year? Would it be feasible to melt them down and carefully clean the frames, then re-wax for the spring?

Not necessary - Look at the sandal wearers and those who produce cut comb but think of the extra work you're giving the bees next year and the loss of honey production, plus the expense of new foundation - and you have to coax the bees up onto the new foundation :)

Latest posts

Back