Why is the National Beehive popular in the UK?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have any more info about the introduction of the long-lugged standard frame in the last half of the 1800's?
I recall reading somewhere about the specific involvement of Dover (rather than just Kent) in this (but I've completely forgotten where I came across this - doh!)
There was a reference in BeeCraft, I think it was, a couple of years back. Even an example advertisement, iirc, of a firm promoting the advantages of long lugs. And yes, a firm based in or near Dover rings a bell.

There was a reference in BeeCraft, I think it was, a couple of years back. Even an example advertisement, iirc, of a firm promoting the advantages of long lugs. And yes, a firm based in or near Dover rings a bell.

Thanks - I know the location of a fairly comprehensive BeeCraft collection, so I'll check there after Christmas.

...As for Langstroth's awkward size, was it not modeled on a beer crate, he had knocking about, or was that Dadant?...
Most lore I've read suggests Langstroth size was based on Champagne crates. WBC was popular because the boxes could be made from fruit boxes is another one. Like most of these beekeeping tropes, they seem to get passed author to author. Pagden did write about using fruit boxes as supers on a skep.

It's all about what I can manage to lift for me and that restricts me to nats.
Cazza

I like the way it is constructed, obviously a well thought out design for bees and beekeepers not just some wine box converted, the different sized boxes give the beekeeper a wide range of permutations. If I was given the option of type of beehive if starting again I would go for the British National design.

Latest posts

Back