Oxalic sublimation into a Dartington

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helen

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Enough
Hello. I am looking at the logistics of sublimating oxalic acid in a dartington hive. Dartingtons have very narrow entrances that come in under the main body, and large open mesh bases. Has anyone tried this on a Dartington, beehaus or similar? If so, how?

Just apply from below the mesh. Insert the varroa board and look to see where the cluster is from the cappings waste on the board the next day. Then apply the OA from below the mesh floor with your Varrox or similar equipment.

By now, your bees should be compartmentalised in the centre section of the hive, so you should know where they are. Treat as subliming into a 14 x12 from under the OMF. If you do not have means of closing the internal entrance, more fumes will escape, of course.

I would probably be positioning the sublimator under the dividing board after roof removal and one cover board, after temporarily sealing the OMF. Not quite so straight forward as a National, but easy enough with adequate preparation.

By now, your bees should be compartmentalised in the centre section of the hive, so you should know where they are. Treat as subliming into a 14 x12 from under the OMF. If you do not have means of closing the internal entrance, more fumes will escape, of course.

Agree under the OMF. Seal with any foam strips from, say, an old foam cushion or simply just bit of rags? So easy.

You might want to check the under-surface of the OMF after vapourising OA underneath it. If there's a lot of 'snow' attached to the cold wire mesh, that'll give you some indication of how much OA actually made it into the hive.

LJ

You might want to check the under-surface of the OMF after vapourising OA underneath it. If there's a lot of 'snow' attached to the cold wire mesh, that'll give you some indication of how much OA actually made it into the hive.

LJ

there is a little frosting if you do it under the omf, i allow an extra 0.25g comapred to the varrox instructions

so 2.25g rather than 2g for a Dadant/14x12

what weight of oxalic dihydrate do others use 1) in entrance 2) under oMF for what size hive

2g for 14 x 12 and 3g for 14 x 12 with nadired shallow; that's in the entrance. I scorched some bottom bars in three hives so will look at under OMF next time.

Latest posts

Back