First Snow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the best way of restraint is two or three knee strikes to the thigh or lowerleg followed by a straight arm takedown going into an entangled arm lock or, if you want to be showy an inverted wrist take down followed by the same in a lock (but it's a b*gger to keep on for any amount of time)

Sounds good to me shame its not one of the Team Teach approved ones lol

Again you are wrong, I get paid to ID birds for a living, it is not a buzzard. Believe what you like makes not a jot of difference to me either !!
S

What a wonderful job.
Two years ago we had a red kite chick fall out the nest at the bottom of our garden. A lovely chap from the Welsh Red Kite Trust came and jumared (sic) up the tree to put him back with his sister. They were both tagged and ringed. It was very exciting to watch :)

Again you are wrong, I get paid to ID birds for a living, it is not a buzzard. Believe what you like makes not a jot of difference to me either !!
S
If that's true I would sack you Lol, look at this pic, the one in the OP'S post is a light phase Buzzard, you may be thinking Buzzards are a lot darker, as they are in some areas. Look at the neck on the op's second pic, see the brown streaks, if it was a kestrel it would have uniform spots all down its front. It is difficult to get an idea of size from the pic, a male Buzzard is a lot smaller than a female. This looks nothing whatsoever like a kestrel. would you like me to buy you a bird book & some glasses for Christmas?:icon_204-2:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...teTBdlujF85qyLdOKEVJX-n9_1yxLyW-IMWhdSmafTBZe

What a wonderful job.
Two years ago we had a red kite chick fall out the nest at the bottom of our garden. A lovely chap from the Welsh Red Kite Trust came and jumared (sic) up the tree to put him back with his sister. They were both tagged and ringed. It was very exciting to watch :)

Wish we had red kites, very special bird that is making a great come back.
I am very lucky and my job allows me to visit places that are out of the way but it does have its moments.
I frequently have to include something in reports the company that has just paid for will not like and will cost them money to mitigate for!
S

If that's true I would sack you Lol, look at this pic, the one in the OP'S post is a light phase Buzzard, you may be thinking Buzzards are a lot darker, as they are in some areas. Look at the neck on the op's second pic, see the brown streaks, if it was a kestrel it would have uniform spots all down its front. It is difficult to get an idea of size from the pic, a male Buzzard is a lot smaller than a female. This looks nothing whatsoever like a kestrel. would you like me to buy you a bird book & some glasses for Christmas?:icon_204-2:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...teTBdlujF85qyLdOKEVJX-n9_1yxLyW-IMWhdSmafTBZe

No, its fine thanks about book and glasses I have a very good library already and although there is always something to learn I am quite happy with my ID skills for UK raptors.
Sylviidaes, especially some of the eastern ones on the other hand have always been my weak point but working on it.
S

I find the best way of restraint is two or three knee strikes to the thigh or lowerleg followed by a straight arm takedown going into an entangled arm lock or, if you want to be showy an inverted wrist take down followed by the same in a lock (but it's a b*gger to keep on for any amount of time)

What a wonderful job.

It has it's moments - and they're talking about issuing us with telescopic batons next :hurray:

Much too small for a Buzzard, looks like a Kestrel to me , probably 'puffed' up to keep warm. The banding around the eyes is the give away and lack of banding on the chest which would have indicated sparrow hawk.
S

PS like the pic of hives in snow but very very glad they are not mine as I hate the cold. What strain of bee do you keep Mike?

It's not the size, but the length of tail below its perch point that rules out buzzard, couldn't make out much else from the photo but my best guess from the shape is also a puffed out kestrel.
Feels all wrong to be agreeing with you Stiffy :)

It's not the size, but the length of tail below its perch point that rules out buzzard, couldn't make out much else from the photo but my best guess from the shape is also a puffed out kestrel.

Quick, I need a drink :willy_nilly:

If it was a kestrel it would have black bars clearly on the end of the tail, Jees! you guys were clearly never taught about the Birds & the Bees when you were kids .:icon_204-2:

If it was a kestrel it would have black bars clearly on the end of the tail, Jees! you guys were clearly never taught about the Birds & the Bees when you were kids .:icon_204-2:

The cheek of it, who says I'm not a kid anymore 😆

! you guys were clearly never taught about the Birds & the Bees when you were kids

Perhaps they need a good book! Got any for sale? ''Cheep'', of course.:biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

Had confirmation from an expert that the bird in my back yard was a Sparrowhawk. Thanks for help.

Had confirmation from an expert that the bird in my back yard was a Sparrowhawk. Thanks for help.

It wasnt stiffy was it lol, thats no expert & no sparrow hawk either.

Ask a group of beekeepers a question........

Shame on you, Arfermo, you've been on this forum long enough to know better.

Role on spring, some on here are getting very bored.
On a positive note, first Daffs are in flower in my fields, so wont be long. :nature-smiley-014:
PS anyone want to argue they are primroses ???
S

Latest posts

Back