First Snow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Well, we did have 5" in November that melted, but this past week it really piled up. More than a foot from Tuesday through Thursday. Looks like the snow is here to stay.

IMG_0236_zps271cfcda.jpg

Nice Xmas card, Mike...chuck another log on the fire.

Had the first real frost (grass white, birdbath frozen) of the winter last night. Wouldn't know it by 10am …

Retrying.

Last edited:
Bird in woods opposite kitchen window yesterday. Sat there for 4 hours or so sunning itself and sending squirrels potty. What is it 'cos my books don't help? View attachment 11193 About 20 inches tall.

Last edited:
Well, we did have 5" in November that melted, but this past week it really piled up. More than a foot from Tuesday through Thursday. Looks like the snow is here to stay.

IMG_0236_zps271cfcda.jpg

So Jealous. I would have my skis clipped on and going down the nearest hill if I were there now, well if I hadn't put my back out at work restraining a pupil on Friday that is, I would.

So Jealous. I would have my skis clipped on and going down the nearest hill if I were there now, well if I hadn't put my back out at work restraining a pupil on Friday that is, I would.

I hope the enraged parents are not on the school doorstep tomorrow - or maybe your school has broken up for hols.

Largest female sparrowhawk unlikely to be more than 40cm long (16") and that's a skinned measurement, in reality they look smaller … goshawks are 50-65cm and are much more of a threat to squirrels. Quite a few about these days, even in the Midlands.

However, unless the trunk at that height is 20" in diameter then I reckon it's a sparrowhawk.

Largest female sparrowhawk unlikely to be more than 40cm long (16") and that's a skinned measurement, in reality they look smaller … goshawks are 50-65cm and are much more of a threat to squirrels. Quite a few about these days, even in the Midlands.

However, unless the trunk at that height is 20" in diameter then I reckon it's a sparrowhawk.

I did think Gos hawk but its chest looks to narrow. I am suprised this bird stayed there for 4 hours though ? Most birds of prey will rest up once theyve fed to save energy, but usually in a less obvious place & it wouldnt sit there 4 hours with a squirrel chattering in its ear attracting unwanted attention.

QUOTE=Summerslease;452846]Hi Afermo, the pic is a little small but could it be an owl, possibly a short-eared one?[/QUOTE]

I'll try a bigger version.View attachment 11204

Original jpg Image size would not upload. Keep aediting to fit but won't work

Last edited:
Original jpg Image size would not upload. Keep aediting to fit but won't work

Actually looks more like a male Buzzard in the last pic, markings are a bit clearer, & a Buzzard is more likely to sit for longer.

Apparently there are breeding pairs of European eagle owls living here in the UK, I am not saying it`s one of them but it does look like an owl to me, unless it is a hawk puffing up it feathers in the cold, i would like to see the bigger photo.

Actually looks more like a male Buzzard in the last pic, markings are a bit clearer, & a Buzzard is more likely to sit for longer.

My wife thought it was an owl of some sort but using my Swarovski birding binoculars it was clearly a hawk of some kind. I think it most likely was a common buzzard - too big for a sparrow hawk - but it was lighter in colour than the images in my books. Perhaps the bright sun? Anyway thanks peeps. Amazing variety of birds round here!!!

Latest posts

Back