Scottish "beekeeper" "Eric McArthur" threatens to burn hives.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norton

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
A Scottish beekeeper has made an inflammatory remark and has threatened to burn another beekeepers beehives for importing queen bees - it is not illegal. Conspiracy to commit a criminal act is. This is what he posted: "We the beekeeping community maintain a strict vigil and report any beekeeper, who brings foreign bees into Scotland, to their nearest local association for wider promulgation! Name and shame! - perhaps even the odd incendiary accident!!!"

You can see the thread on the Scottish Beekeepers Association forum: http://www.-------------/sbai_forum/showthread.php…

In the interests of balance, I would point out that Mr McArthur had no support whatsoever from the SBA forum and most contributors to the thread thought he was out of order in posting what he did.

Was is needed is Government action to protect beekeeping in the UK from foreign imports that bring us further pests and diseases.

CVB

Was is needed is Government action to protect beekeeping in the UK from foreign imports that bring us further pests and diseases.

That could mean the banning of a lot of imported things, i don't think this is very likely happen.

The said gentleman was previously banned from the SBA site for claiming various members were in the pay of pesticide companies..

(With no proof of such an allegation offered of course).

It's obvious he did not mean it literally!

Well it may be obvious to you. I read lots of comments on teh internet by people who clearly are - to put it kindly - unbalanced idiots - who seize on anything provocative and act on it..

Eric has form of these issues.. so he deserves no lattitude.

A Scottish beekeeper has made an inflammatory remark and has threatened to burn another beekeepers beehives for importing queen bees - it is not illegal. Conspiracy to commit a criminal act is. This is what he posted: "We the beekeeping community maintain a strict vigil and report any beekeeper, who brings foreign bees into Scotland, to their nearest local association for wider promulgation! Name and shame! - perhaps even the odd incendiary accident!!!"

You can see the thread on the Scottish Beekeepers Association forum: http://www.-------------/sbai_forum/showthread.php…

Aye, you might enjoy my latest contribution to that thread ;)

Murray must be quaking in his boots. New zealand a couple of years ago and italian(?) this last season.

Where will it end?

Its heartening to see that the majority disagree with this fool, apart that is from the usual protagonists who also haunt this forum stirring the shxt.
S

I don't know - bloke's a nutter - used to post on here at one time

Flaming troll in incendiary post SHOCKER

Let's not let the nutters post deflect from the outwardly sensible but insidious propaganda being drip fed by those who serve themselves by continuing an open border agenda despite the risk of shb wrecking beekeeping as we know it for the rest of us.

propaganda being drip fed by those who serve themselves by continuing an open border agenda

..........or those who muddy the waters by using SHB as an excuse to pursue their 'Aryan race' agenda by stopping the importation of queen bees.

..........or those who muddy the waters by using SHB as an excuse to pursue their 'Aryan race' agenda by stopping the importation of queen bees.
I've always thought that 'people see what people see': the businessman sees business opportunities; the crook sees easy pickings; the vicar sees souls to be saved; the policeman sees people as criminals. In short, how each of us views the world reveals to others what lies within us. (i.e., what form our perceptual filter takes)

If anyone sees an 'Aryan race' agenda in others, then that's what they see.

Oh dear ...

LJ

It's obvious he did not mean it literally!
Of course it is - it's just so much 'Hollywood'.
You know, like when somebody holds another at gun-point - whether it's a gangster movie, a western, or James Bond ... when they talk to the guy at length before shooting him (giving him the opportunity to escape or whatever) - explaining what the consequences of their evil scheme will be, and so forth. "Lock him in a cellar, we'll kill him later" sort of stuff. Why not simply 'do it now', rather than talk about it ? (I know ... 'cause that ain't in the script :) )

If someone 'talks' to others about doing something unlawful, the chances are they never will - they're just letting off steam. If someone is really intent on doing something nefarious - they'll just do it - and you might get to hear about it ... afterwards.

LJ

There is probably a law against incitement. Suggesting hives should be burned can easily be taken as 'open season' by some nutters.

Well, whoever these black shirt wearing, taliban, aryan race pursueing beekeepers are, I woudnt wish shb on them.

..........If someone 'talks' to others about doing something unlawful, the chances are they never will - they're just letting off steam. If someone is really intent on doing something nefarious - they'll just do it - and you might get to hear about it ... afterwards.

LJ

And that kind of attitude is why the police are heavily criticised for doing nothing when people complain about domestic violence and then end up being killed..as the police did nothing.

I am sorry but if you write on the internet an article advocating violence then you are a fool and deserve the inevitable criticism.

And it is no defence to claim you "did not mean it".

See the wife of the Speaker of the House of Commons who had to pay over £150k in libel damages because of her stupid Twitter remarks about Lord McAlpine. Her defence was "I did not mean it". http://tinyurl.com/o92ncj7

Last edited:
Here is a link to an article about an attack carried out in Germany. Diesel was poured into all the hives in the apiary killing of course all the bees and contaminating everything with diesel.
http://www.oberpfalznetz.de/zeitung/4381247-129-22-bienenvoelker-ausgeloescht,1,0.html

It is thought that the attack was carried out by some animal rights group who state that beekeepers are imprisoning the bees in hives that they shouldn't be kept in and exploit the bees by stealing all the honey and replace it with an unnatural food like sugar syrup etc etc. You can read the whole spiel here:
http://www.oberpfalznetz.de/zeitung/4381247-129-22-bienenvoelker-ausgeloescht,1,0.html

I have also been a victim of such an attack. Eighteen months ago insecticide was poured into a whole apiary of breeder queens and cell building colonies. Not a bee was left alive in the whole apiary. In some hives there were about six inches deep dead bees in the bottom of the hive. It's no joke!

Leaving (for the moment) Queen importation aside, can we all (or mostly) agree that restricting importation of colonies and packages of bees should slow the spread of this vile pestilence? /Talking about SHB, rather than any posters here, past or present …

I agree - but I don't think it is possible from "SHB free areas". The exporter can demand a veterinary certificate from the local authorities and they have no reason to refuse it.
I think the greatest danger is the importation of bumble bee nest used for greenhouse pollination. If SHB manages to get into the bumble bee and EU greenhouse system then it will spread all over the EU. What are the vets in the UK going to do? Stop bumble importations - no way. Inspect all the nests - impossible to do.

Latest posts

Back