Worst scaremongering article this year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why import poorly adapted bees into a area to reck the local gean pool when we have fantastic bees and good yields. we have our methods for a reason... they work in our climate for our bees!

Must be a new Polish version of "The Apprentice"

Why import poorly adapted bees into a area to reck the local gean pool when we have fantastic bees and good yields. we have our methods for a reason... they work in our climate for our bees!

Thanks that you got back to the actual topic, because the question should not be are English people are lazy and Polish automatically hard workers...

I find the article still an insult towards their guest country. To come from abroad and present yourself as being more modern to now teach the backward English (not to forget to rescue the UK Food industry) because the English people are not... what... educated enough? too backward? to get the problems sorted themselves? I think this is totally disrespectful towards all the UK Beekeepers, professionals or Hobbyist.

And that is without even considering the potential risks of imported diseases, and all just because they want to make a profit over here....

No, they are doing our jobs because the lazy English wont do them!
Time to stop this fascist rasist crap that is spreading its evil way around the country and this forum is certainly not the place for it
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

NO sense of humour? :icon_204-2:
Read the post as intended, with reflection on Pargyles opinion. ('tongue in cheek' if that helps you figure it out!)

Last edited:
I think they must have read a 5 year old article on google and not looked at the date.

Mind you, if the general public think that UK bees are in short supply then surely they will also realise that honey prices will just have to increase..

Last edited:
NO sense of humour? :icon_204-2:

If it was said in jest, I apologize. I hear too often moans about eastern Europeans taking jobs.
I too found the article patronizing but they are obviously very proud of their father. I wouldnt be surprised if they have listened to the rubbish about how bad the bee industry is in the UK from BBKA.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

QUOTE=Stiffy;452445]If it was said in jest, I apologize. I hear too often moans about eastern Europeans taking jobs.
I too found the article patronizing but they are obviously very proud of their father. I wouldnt be surprised if they have listened to the rubbish about how bad the bee industry is in the UK from BBKA.
S

No problem Stiffy, most things said on this forum are either an attempt to help with bees, but many are friendly jibes or attempts of humour that doesn't always travel well from county to county. If you lived near me you'd need a good sense of humour to survive from one day to the next. "It's grim up north lad!"
Regards Dave ;):)

You reap what you sow. BBKA PR machine has been peddling the "bees are in trouble" message for ages. Being selective with the truth is convenient when fundraising, but ultimately counter productive in all sorts of ways.

Nevertheless, bee imports aside, maybe beekeepers in other parts of the world can teach us a thing or two? Importing knowledge is no bad thing.

Does anyone know what they can teach us before we go jumping down peoples throats, come on I bet a few have pinched a few tips and tricks from beekeepers around the world in the passed.

It would be interesting to know how many people in this country work outside the UK.
Two young students trying to make a living at what they know, nothing wrong with that.

Hey JB didn't you go to another country to teach people how to look after bees properly! :)
E

Just trying to be a bit more objective
A couple of articles and some observations
Http://www.jas.org.pl/pdf/218?filename=jas_54_2_2010_1.pdf
http://www.inhort.pl/files/program_.../Beekeeping in Poland - the current stage.pdf

In Britain beekeeping tended to be more of a hobby for the older generation and the hives generally in use dated back to the 1920s
That true: Our nationals date from the 1920-30's and are the most popular hive.
In Poland 0.5% of beekeeper are professionals (>150 hives) so most are also hobby beekeepers.
The age distribution of beekeepers in Poland is middle age to oldies.

Michael said that in Poland there was much less of a problem with ‘colony collapse disorder’ and there was a greater openness to innovation and new ideas.
The first article states in 2007-2008 huge colony losses occurred ? Around the time of CCD. Also they have similar winter losses to us.

Ewa’s father is an experienced beekeeper in a country which is ahead of Britain when it comes to looking after hives.

Average number of hives per apiary is 25- so all things being equal I would agree that needs a more experienced beekeeper than one who manages 2 hives. Also Poland appears to receive funding from the EU CAP which suggested beekeeping is being taken as a serious contributor toward the economy. I would agree that this is ahead of us.
The average honey yield per hive has been quoted in the first article - cant remember what the BBKA honey survey showed

Alec

This is their web site http://www.bee4bees.com/. Looks professional much of the article has been extracted from the web site.

I thought the British Beekeeping industry was doing quite well!! Especially after seeing Finmans data, and the BBKA honey survey.:nono:
Web page doesnt load for me..

I have no issues with people from other countries living and working in the UK .. There is much to be said for diversity, the contribution from the spread of cultures across the planet has created the world we live in now (not all good I would accept) but I would find a UK without Indian curries, chinese food, spaghetti, sushi, pizza and the myriad of other foods that are now readily available in the UK a much less colourful place. That's just the food that has entered our lives - there is much much more.

There is no place for stereotyping - there are good and bad in all races and in my opinion (and experience) it is usually a very small minority that tarnish the reputation of a much larger (and normally undeserving) majority.

However, the fundamental problem with the article in the Hudderfield Examiner (circulation 20,540 - December 2010 – June 2011 - mainly within a 10 mile radius of Hudersfield and hardly an earth shattering publication in any sense of the word) is that it is so completely flawed and if the information was provided, for the Author, by the two Polish students mentioned in the article then they really have not immersed themselves in UK beekeeping and deserve to be censured.

I have no issue with their entrepreneurial endeavours but to found them on blatant untruths is not a good start to any business. I also take exception to the unnecessary import of bees from any country ... with our borders currently shaking with the threat of SHB, Asian Hornet etc. etc. I can see no justification for the import of large numbers of foreign bees from anywhere with the attendant risks they pose.

As far as I can see British Beekeepers (certainly on this forum) are amongst the most forward thinking in the world and the UK has a unique standing internationally for the quality of its home grown honey - I don't want to see any massive growth in the commercial production of UK honey beyond the 400 or so bee farmers we have at present - they do a fine job alongside the hobbyists and I suspect they do not need a couple of polish students to show them the way ...

Lastly ... as for their idea of mobile beekeeping platforms - Sadly, Bill Bielby - a Yorkshireman - got there in the 1970's when he placed his hives on an old caravan chassis - nothing much is new in beekeeping ! Perhaps they should join the Yorkshire Beekeepers Association - they might learn a thing or two from Bill's legacy:

http://ybka.org.uk/william-bill-broader-bielby/

Last edited:
I just received this email...

John Ramsdin <[email protected]>
1:40 PM (2 hours ago)

to me
Dear Mike,

Various discrepancies in the story concerning the bees have been brought to my attention and as such the story is now being removed from the University’s website.
John Ramsdin
PR Manager, University of Huddersfield
07931 172433 - 01484 472693 - [email protected]

University of Huddersfield inspiring tomorrow's professionals.

their we go .............we have just witnessed the destruction of small business in this country, by the 'well off' 'in place' producers of honey, that don't want competition.
This country needs any entrepreneurs it can get. Even these poor brave souls.
We are leaving a debt to our young, that I don't think elderly people can get their heads around.
It will become apparent to them shortly, though.

Latest posts

Back