wax deposits at hive entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Bick

Visited one of my apiaries just checking and I spotted the wax debris at the entrance to one of those ugly plastic monstrosities that I have the pleasure of sharing an apiary with. I am thinking the wax deposits are as a result of been robbed out and interesting to know your thoughts.

Last night I was compiling quiz questions. One of the questions was, "You see comb outside the entrance - what could be the problem? Answer: A mouse has entered the hive .. Reference H Storch, At the Hive Entrance, page 8.

Just a thought.

Last night I was compiling quiz questions. One of the questions was, "You see comb outside the entrance - what could be the problem? Answer: A mouse has entered the hive .. Reference H Storch, At the Hive Entrance, page 8.

Just a thought.

The mouseguard is not in place in the photo!

I love that book, Storch I mean, but I have a question. Why would cappings be on the landing board if it was a mouse? Surely they'd just drop down through the OMF the same as if the bees had uncapped the stores.

Could be a mouse. These beekeepers also have a poly hive on site and I know they are light but I am thinking of placing a couple of bricks on the lid it's so light.

I am thinking the wax deposits are as a result of been robbed out and interesting to know your thoughts.

I see plenty of small wax deposits/cappings out the front of our hives, especially when it warms up briefly in between periods of cold weather, and the bees are having a tidy up.

Usually if a mouse gets into a hive most of the wax seen out front is in quite large chunks.

I see plenty of small wax deposits/cappings out the front of our hives, especially when it warms up briefly in between periods of cold weather, and the bees are having a tidy up.

Usually if a mouse gets into a hive most of the wax seen out front is in quite large chunks.

Yes Pete but I think you have lots of solid floors and this hive is mesh. I had a look at the inspection tray and that was surprisingly clear so I don't think it's a mouse.

Agree with both Hivemaker and Erichalfbee.

The beekeeper may not be clever enough to keep the cluster away from the entrance - a fall of dead bees could easily block the entrance as there is a well, leading down to the entrance. Or perhaps they believe the manufacturer's claim that the hive is for two colonies?

As for 'ugly' - beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. They might just think it is beautiful and consider your hives as ordinary and boring! Live and let live, if you are sharing the apiary, I say.

The sharing is not mutual Rab I have no option they gave up on lessons from my association over a year ago after a couple of lessons, they run two different types of hive and frame size. I have offered help but they are happy to do their own thing. A third beekeeper on site has worked with me and their hive is perhaps the strongest on site. I have to say I suspect the hive was weak going into autumn with their other hive an unknown state but presently so light it's a worry and both their hives have four very strong fit and healthy neighbours.

Is it an under floor entrance? looks like one, in that case perfectly normal - the entrance is below the frames so when they incap stores some of the cappings will land in the lobby and be left there for ages. I have underfloor entrances on all mine and I see this often

Just looked at the website and it looks as though it could be described as an under floor entrance but don't know for sure.

Hi Tom et al,
I have seen bees removing wax flakes from one of my nucs (solid floor) and at the moment there is a little sprinkling on the York stones just outside the entrance. I have put it down to cleaning by house bees, as I have not found any evidence that bees recycle wax neither have I seen any evidence of robbing.

I have a picture somewhere, of a bee, her pollen baskets full of wax salvaged from supposedly cleaned frames drying in my greenhouse.
And no.......not propolis...... but wax

I have a picture somewhere, of a bee, her pollen baskets full of wax salvaged from supposedly cleaned frames drying in my greenhouse.
And no.......not propolis...... but wax

Hi ErichA,
I should clarify that I have only seen wax being removed by mouth parts not stuffed in their baskets. I have also been told that a beek left a thick layer of wax at the bottom of his hives, because he said they recycle it. Wax moth more like was my thoughts at the time. So if we can agree that it is wax in the baskets that would be a start!

Hi ErichA,
I should clarify that I have only seen wax being removed by mouth parts not stuffed in their baskets. I have also been told that a beek left a thick layer of wax at the bottom of his hives, because he said they recycle it. Wax moth more like was my thoughts at the time. So if we can agree that it is wax in the baskets that would be a start!

Are we not better cleaning bits of wax out, after all there will also be varroa amongst it & if bees go amongst it to recycle it, will they not also pick up these varroa as passengers?

The sharing is not mutual Rab I have no option they gave up on lessons from my association over a year ago after a couple of lessons, they run two different types of hive and frame size. I have offered help but they are happy to do their own thing. A third beekeeper on site has worked with me and their hive is perhaps the strongest on site. I have to say I suspect the hive was weak going into autumn with their other hive an unknown state but presently so light it's a worry and both their hives have four very strong fit and healthy neighbours.

Tom: you're not giving the impression that you want this not to be a sign of trouble, if you see what I mean. Why should the colony not be above the under-floor entrance?

Latest posts

Back