First Snow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buzzard

dbnqs3.jpg

Last edited:
I think everyone of those sentences is either incorrect or conjecture.
Please try harder

All incorrect / conjecture .... Maybe .

Please try harder ?? Not the most pleasant reply, why I am not sure ?

We're my thoughts, simply to elicit opinions on same.

Bird in woods opposite kitchen window yesterday. Sat there for 4 hours or so sunning itself and sending squirrels potty. What is it 'cos my books don't help? View attachment 11193 About 20 inches tall.

Initially I thought some kind of Hawk. Looking on the RSPB site it seems to be a Honey Buzzard (appropriate) They are a large bird and it is the only one I can find that has that colour plumage. I would have thought that it should be back in Africa by now. Have you seen it fly? Does it seem to have a problem? .

Initially I thought some kind of Hawk. Looking on the RSPB site it seems to be a Honey Buzzard (appropriate) They are a large bird and it is the only one I can find that has that colour plumage. I would have thought that it should be back in Africa by now. Have you seen it fly? Does it seem to have a problem? .

Haven't seen it fly but it has obviously been doing so as it has gone from quite high up a large ash tree, then off to roost overnight, then onto ground below said ash next day and then flown (or hopped?) about 20 yards to the walkway over the stream next door where it sat for several hours, awake and alert yesterday - when I worked out the image download on this forum. Can't tell if it is ill as it would only speak Afrikaans I expect. not worthy Glad of your help and will see if I can get nearer to it or even tell local Wildlife bods so they can alert local twitchers when it next puts in an appearance if it hasn't gone on holiday yet.

Clearly this is a beekeepers forum, not a bird of prey forum judging by most of the comments. Though i would have thought some would know a little about other wildlife.:icon_204-2: Buzzard(English) i shall say no more:icon_204-2:

Clearly this is a beekeepers forum, not a bird of prey forum
Sharp cookie aren't you - well done for spotting that.
So how come you're so certain that it's an English Buzzard (not Welsh or Scottish?)
Wildlife ID was never my strong point. Many a time when I've been out for a walk with my old mate Westley Richards Have I mistaken a goosander for a mallard (come to think of it I sometimes mix up badgers with their cousins - stoats and weasels)

Sharp cookie aren't you - well done for spotting that.
So how come you're so certain that it's an English Buzzard (not Welsh or Scottish?)
Wildlife ID was never my strong point. Many a time when I've been out for a walk with my old mate Westley Richards Have I mistaken a goosander for a mallard (come to think of it I sometimes mix up badgers with their cousins - stoats and weasels)

Some farmers round here positively encourage mistaking black and white foxes as fair game when giving permission for going lamping on their land.

In all fairness the red filter on the lamp does make everything err... fox coloured. Apart that is from very big black cat type creatures which I have occasioally swept a beam across (creepy eyes as well)

If indeed it is a Buzzard, it in my opinion would be a Common Buzzard which has a wide range of plumage colours and ranges across Europe, not to be confused with the similar looking Rough legged Buzzard and the European Honey Buzzard so maybe it could be called a European Buzzard.

It's a Buzzard whatever nationality and as JBG pointed out a long way back, their plumage varies considerably. I've seen them in all shades from brown to nearly white.

No sign of Fieldfares or Redwings yet.

Latest posts

Back