Bees busy?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pollen today though, it must finally be finished around here.
Same here in Sligo, Torq. But I think it`s not because of lack of pollen, as there is a lot of gorse( furz ) around here. It was a nice and sunny day today(a small bit of rain afternoon though), almost no wind, but temperature was about 6`C.
I noticed that at the similar conditions with the temperature over 8`C my backfast bees get proactive and bring plenty of pollen. With another strain of bees or at another altitude the situation at this conditions could be different IMHO.
Sharon - furz bushes are in full bloom...
The bush has plenty of small yellow flowers that offers loads of yellow pollen that the bees absolutely love.
I thought gorse pollen is something between brown and orange in color (light firebrick …as mentioned in wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source) , yellow must be Ivy yet. It`s a shame furz has no (or very little) nectar ( I tried it`s flowers for a taste sometimes :) ) Otherwise we could manage to harvest some honey during lovely worm Irish winter sunny outbreaks :)
I have heathers out in full flower and there not on them .
My garden heather (Erica) is also in a good flower. It started blossom on 1.10.14 (as my records tell), but I did not see any bee on it so far… They prefered Ivy.

Had a look on Saturday, at out apiary allotment site, not a great site as shaded but astounded to see bees piling in and out some with plenty of pollen ..... Spring only around the corner !!

Bees in the poly nuc are flying today, everyone else is in bed. 10deg and direct sunlight on the poly.

Bees in the poly nuc are flying today, everyone else is in bed. 10deg and direct sunlight on the poly.
I always thought that isolation properties mean a lot…
Lucky Athlones (or Athlets :) ) I did not see any temperature here in Sligo above 5.5`C today( I live 100 km away from Athlon). Just a few bees were flying…No pollen whatsoever today :(... for many days actualy...Cold

Last edited:
Great activity from all hives today. No sign of anything going in so they must all be going for a wee!

13deg and a bit breezy.

Hi all,
All hives and nucs very busy. Lots of orientation flights, two hives bringing a little yellow pollen in and one with drones out for a jolly. On the face of it none the worse for OA treatment, so hopefully all good.

Hi all,
All hives and nucs very busy. Lots of orientation flights, two hives bringing a little yellow pollen in and one with drones out for a jolly. On the face of it none the worse for OA treatment, so hopefully all good.

Yeh same here all busy today, picked a bee up from the floor and warmed her up in my hands, she started grooming herself but would not fly, I headed back to the house for some sugar water to see if that would help,,, but halfway down the garden I felt a sharp pain, yep stung me then flew off oh the joys.

Back