Import of NZ bees into UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As i said - everyone is welcome! You wouldn't want to stay in a caravan here though in the summer. Not unless you were connected up to the mains and had a large a/c unit to keep you cool.

Norton, I've stayed in the Panormo area on holiday for the last couple of years in Crete. This is near Rethymnon on the north coast. Are your bees anywhere near this? I suspect the south coast is not a good bee place in the summer.

PS:

We will be swapping holiday snaps next - has this thread run out of steam?

We will be swapping holiday snaps next - has this thread run out of steam?

I think so. Fishing couldn't quite put a stop to it; I think Johna's caravan may have done the trick. :)

It's not finished for me. I am still waiting for the Co-op to reveal their compromise - or have I missed it?

Most of the bees are in the Heraklion area. Two apiaries near the El Greco Museum at Fodele between Rethymo and Heraklion.
Significant numbers of F16s flying over Crete tonight - all heading south! Exciting and scary at the same time to hear the jets at full power.
Norton.

Thread resurrection alert!

I heard last week that the Wellcome Trust had bought the CWS farms (or part thereof) which reminded me about ITLD and Denrosa's English beekeeping operation.
So 3+ years later, did the imported NZ queens have any impact?

I heard last week that the Wellcome Trust had bought the CWS farms (or part thereof) which reminded me about ITLD and Denrosa's English beekeeping operation.

A lot of the bees bought from one of the suppliers are imported from NZ. Their second generation queens seem to have a reputation of being very feisty.

I remember talking to a beekeeper who kept such bees and he had 2nd 3rd and 4th generation NZ carnie cross queens which were as good as the first but probably had his own gene pool.

The first honey bees were brought to New Zealand by English missionaries. The earliest record of a successful shipment was of two basket hives of bees which arrived in Northland in 1839. Many other importations soon followed and beekeeping became a popular pastime with settlers. The first New Zealand beekeeping book was published in 1848.

The original stocks of bees brought to the country were the Northern European black strain. They were kept in traditional straw skeps or wooden boxes with frames. Around 1880, the first stocks of the yellow Italian strain were imported. They, along with movable frame "Langstroth" hives, provided the foundation for modern commercial beekeeping development.

My pest control pal who lives and works in Cirencester has reported an increase in swarms in the Down Ampney area in the past 2 years. I just asked him.

Coincidence ?

Regards,

S

My pest control pal who lives and works in Cirencester has reported an increase in swarms in the Down Ampney area in the past 2 years. I just asked him.

Coincidence ?

Regards,

S

Sounds like you need to get some bait hives set up down there then.

2 + 2 = 47?!?

Interesting that somerford says he knows a pest controller that is collecting them, jumps to somerford actually wanting them if they are free... or has a post been deleted that I missed?

My apiaries are within 2 miles of the afore mentioned bees

Never had any problems with bad tempered colonies/ disease/ excess swarms arriving etc

Im on the BBKA swarm register and am the nearest collector to Down Ampney, Ive only collected one swarm from that area all year.

The Down Ampney bees arnt even there in the summer, they are only overwintered down there, they are transported up to Scotland early on in the season.

Latest posts

Back