What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ nonstandard,
have you got any keen newbies nearby? might be a chance for them to have a learning session!!

Nothing, a biting cold wind is blowing across the alottment

Today.........I will mainly be yacht varnishing the aforementioned 40 brood box dummy boards that I've made and painting some nuc boxes a lovely shade of Holly green.

Ho hum.

very funny quickly looked in the hive

"quickly looked in the hive"

whilst doing OA treatment or adding fondant?

otherwise all you've done, apart from satisfying your curiosity, is chill the bees and break propolis seals.

update- found veroah after Oxalic at the weekend..... Not pleased.:ack2:

Thats good. I means there dying and the Oxalic is working.:hurray:

Don't tell me, you thought you had none. ;)

yep did hive clean regularly and full treatment of apilife-var as well but did not see any i used the same newspaper and oil on the varoah tray each time...

probably about 50-60 on each board can i do anything else...or just sit tight?

yep did hive clean regularly and full treatment of apilife-var as well but did not see any i used the same newspaper and oil on the varoah tray each time...

just leave them alone now, the oxalic is working, any more disturbance will put them under undue stress.

Hive Clean

I also used hive clean all last year since May at perhaps every third inspection and on a average daily drop test in early December found only five or six mites in three hives in total. I did oxalic treatment between Christmas and new year and had a drop seven days later of more than a hundred in one hive and somewhat less in the other two. So the oxalic definatly worked, but i''l still use the hive clean this year, assuming the bees survive the winter!.

No need to panic!

Dave W

when we talk drop numbers over what time scale should the boards stay in to achieve the drop numbers?
i treated on saturday had a look today but decided to put the board back until this saturday then take them out and do a full count of the mites....

What did I do at the apiary today--- be brave!!
Taken over an out apiary where the shed was in need of overhaul- equipment had been left to deteriorate- so I went up armed with broom etc. To get there was a challenge as the farm track very thick with mud- car JUST stayed out of the field.
When I started to remove old brood boxes etc- the mice came piling out....I removed 16 eventually- but the challenge were the ones on the high shelves under queen excluders- I had to look them in the eye as I am only 5'2 and they had 2 nests there...Good job no-one could hear me..
Brought every bit of equipment back to my house- well away from any of my own stuff and I have power hosed the lot (and the car :ack2: )before I handle anything without gloves . The smell of mouse pee is lingering....
Every scrap of wax stripped from 50 frames- then boiled all frames in my Burco.
Tomorrow- 10 boxes to scrape

Still- a satisfying day..

Latest posts

Back