Why do larvae crawl out from the comb?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boca

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I believe I am not the only one who have experienced this behavior.
If I leave a comb with 3-5 days old larvae outside without bees, most of the larvae crawl out and drop on the bottom.
Is there an explanation why they do this, and what prevents them from doing it in a comb covered by bees?

No idea but.... Why would you do it....seems the obvious question!
E

If I leave a comb with 3-5 days old larvae outside without bees, most of the larvae crawl out and drop on the bottom.
Is there an explanation why they do this, and what prevents them from doing it in a comb covered by bees?

Seeking warmth or food? I agree with Enrico. Why would you do that?

Why would you do that?
First it happened as an accident. I have forgotten a drone comb in an empty box I wanted to freeze.
Now I am studying some methods to assess the level of infection of a diseases, and in a document it is described how to obtain larvae and pupae for testing.
Annex B in this document:
www.ars.usda.gov/is/np/honeybeediseases/honeybeediseases.pdf

The only time I encounter larvae which have come out of the comb is if I have dislodged them by shaking the frame or otherwise through rough handling.

No your not the only one, seen it plenty of times, mainly the older larvae which are no longer being fed or kept warm, or too hot, they are in the dying stage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back