Plant I.D.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
I.D. Please, there's loads of this by me.
Thanks.

I think it is called "grand bay willowherb", it is a close relative to rose bay willow herb. What I do not know is if the bees actually work it? There is loads of it where I live but I have yet to see a bee on it. Does any one know if this plant is loved by bees or not?

I.D. Please, there's loads of this by me.
Thanks.

Yes, but are the bees on it? Looks like a willow herb, but like some other plants said to be nectar yielders e.g. hawthorn, white clover et al, I rarely see bees on it

It's definitely not fire weed, haven't seen any of the bees working it.
Cheers everyone.

Great Willowherb...I have a large patch near the hives...never seen a bee on it. There is also a large patch of rosebay willowherb... Bees on it all the time.

Commonly known as great willowherb, great hairy willowherb or hairy willowherb. I've got loads of it alongside my out apiary and the bees love it.

Yep, Great Willowherb. I've never seen a bee on it, not even a bumble, but I'm sure I read on here a few weeks ago that someone's bees were working it.

I am sceptical about bees working it - has any one a photo to prove bees work it - I wonder on the photo would we see bees working rose bay instead.

My bees worked great Willowherb last year - produces a very runny honey but not in vast quantities. Last year around me it was only forage between blackberry going over and ivy coming out. This year it came early alongside blackberry and was ignored. Majority of it gone over now in North Bucks - no HB around here - so all a bit bleak beyond a few garden plants. Waiting for the ivy.

If someone have idea which plants this could be ( found at the site of destroyed roman temple at Balkan). I know the pics aren't great. I posted, maybe I am lucky and someone is familiar with these plants. Maybe is autosuggestive but I felt tranquility at the place.
Pic 1 and 2 are the same plant.

Thanks,
Goran.

Latest posts

Back